any herb growers out there

Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM

I grow herbs to use when I cook. Last summer I had oregano, basil, rosemary, 2 kinds of parsley, thyme, dill, cilantro, and I have a big bay leaf tree. I just buy the little plants at the nursery and plant them in a big window box and some big pots. I love to do it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I used they glycerian that used to be available at JoAnns, cant remember the brand name. I switched over to the one at Hobby Lobby now, it dries way nicer! The other one came in a big block? Yes, the buds were probaly exposed....I love makeing soap, I am NOT good at it, just a fun hobby, nd makes the house smell SO good!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
I grow herbs to use when I cook. Last summer I had oregano, basil, rosemary, 2 kinds of parsley, thyme, dill, cilantro, and I have a big bay leaf tree. I just buy the little plants at the nursery and plant them in a big window box and some big pots. I love to do it.
I wish I had a Bay Laurel tree...they take years to grow...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I used they glycerian that used to be available at JoAnns, cant remember the brand name. I switched over to the one at Hobby Lobby now, it dries way nicer! The other one came in a big block? Yes, the buds were probaly exposed....I love makeing soap, I am NOT good at it, just a fun hobby, nd makes the house smell SO good!!!!!!!!!!
the buds will turn brown if you put them in when the glycerin is still too hot..pour into the molds and then wait a couple of minutes before stirring in the buds..this also keeps them from getting too exposed...but they will turn gray eventually as they lose their natural color.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by trisha
I would like to grow Stevia this year? Have you tried that yet? And if so, how do you use it from the plant? I have it in a box. My husband loves it.
oh my..it is great to grow..easy...I grow it in pots..it is best to get it from a nursery and taste the leaves to find a good sweet one..they do better from cuttings than from seed... they are only annual, so you either have to do a cutting from your plant or buy a new one each year...

I chew the leaves with either a double mint or a spearmint leaf just like gum..I also use the leaves in my iced tea..with mint leaves as well..and it can be dried on screen or dehydrator and stored in jars, simply crush and use in teas...as a diabetic I just love stevia!
I grew it and put it in tea, but didnt get much sweetness. I did have a "sweet" plant, because I did sample it. I probably just didnt put enough in. I also thought it might be used in sun tea, but I am not sure about the heat damaging the stevia leaves. Have you had any experience? I grow 12 of the herbs that you mentioned, pluse some other ones. My lateest favorite, although not an herb, is leaf celery. It is like it sounds, a variety of celery that produces more leaf than stalk. It dries SO well and is great to sprinkle on/in anything that you would use celery in. I use it ALL the time. I think my rue died, so will have to find more of that. Keeps my dogs out of certain places.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM

For pest control in the garden, garlic, oregano, tons of basil, sage and rosemary! OH and borage of course..

for medicinal many have to be started from cuttings..they just are hardier..but if you greenhouse you can do them from seed!
I grow borage, chicory, chives, wormwood, bergamot, bay leaf, echinacea, fever few, rue, lavender, lemon balm, marjoram, mullein, parsley, patchouli, sage, stevia, all mints, yarrow, poppies, goodness..there are so many...

some are used in foods as well as for medicines..I make teas/tisanes mostly and some bath and skin care products as well.

I love herbs...and believe that they make the very best landscaping material!

here is a great chart on what they can be used for..I have tons of books I use!
http://www.herbsguide.net/
have you ever infused honeys with the herbs? My herb gardens sound like yours--interested in elecampane? I love her, the roots are used and are phenomenal for lung complaints. She tastes spicy/sweet/and bitter. I also grow my own garlic. I have anise hyssop, hyssop, bee balm, lemon balm, oregano, chives, tansy, rue, coneflower (echinacea), sage, horseradish, valerian, catmint, motherwort, borage, wormwood, mugwort, spearmint, peppermint, calendula, rose. And, don't forget to invite plantain (plantago lancelot??) and dandelion to thrive in your yards.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM

I grow tons of herbs..not just to eat but for medicinal and PEST control!

I have tons of seed if anyone wants to trade some..will make a list!
They look wonderful.

We have a small herb garden next to the terrace and a huge barrel of mint on the terrace (since it seems to be such a bully in the garden--taking over every inch of space!).

Most of our herbs come back every year-- chives, oregano, sage, lavender, and thyme. I think I saved parsley and radish seeds, and maybe cilantro and sweet Annie too. If you'd like any of those, I would gladly trade for any basil tarragon or dill.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM

OK here it goes: showing my ignorance! I have grown potatoes (many years ago) in the ground and dug them up to harvest them. So what I don't understand is how to harvest them from containers. I read about planting in a trash bin and adding soil at intervals as the plants grow. Seems potatoes would form at the bottom first, so how and when does one harvest them? Sorry to be so dumb about this, but love new potatoes and want to try growing them again. I am no longer able to get down on my knees so container gardening will be my method in the future.
Thank you anyone and everyone for explaining this to me!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Originally Posted by trisha
I would like to grow Stevia this year? Have you tried that yet? And if so, how do you use it from the plant? I have it in a box. My husband loves it.
oh my..it is great to grow..easy...I grow it in pots..it is best to get it from a nursery and taste the leaves to find a good sweet one..they do better from cuttings than from seed... they are only annual, so you either have to do a cutting from your plant or buy a new one each year...

I chew the leaves with either a double mint or a spearmint leaf just like gum..I also use the leaves in my iced tea..with mint leaves as well..and it can be dried on screen or dehydrator and stored in jars, simply crush and use in teas...as a diabetic I just love stevia!
I grew it and put it in tea, but didnt get much sweetness. I did have a "sweet" plant, because I did sample it. I probably just didnt put enough in. I also thought it might be used in sun tea, but I am not sure about the heat damaging the stevia leaves. Have you had any experience? I grow 12 of the herbs that you mentioned, pluse some other ones. My lateest favorite, although not an herb, is leaf celery. It is like it sounds, a variety of celery that produces more leaf than stalk. It dries SO well and is great to sprinkle on/in anything that you would use celery in. I use it ALL the time. I think my rue died, so will have to find more of that. Keeps my dogs out of certain places.
do not add the stevia as a fresh leaf to brewed tea..it is better dried and crushed for brewed tea..for sun tea it is great fresh!

I am interested in the leaf celery..I can not longer eat fresh celery and miss that flavor in my chicken salad!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

[quote/]have you ever infused honeys with the herbs? My herb gardens sound like yours--interested in elecampane? I love her, the roots are used and are phenomenal for lung complaints. She tastes spicy/sweet/and bitter. I also grow my own garlic. I have anise hyssop, hyssop, bee balm, lemon balm, oregano, chives, tansy, rue, coneflower (echinacea), sage, horseradish, valerian, catmint, motherwort, borage, wormwood, mugwort, spearmint, peppermint, calendula, rose. And, don't forget to invite plantain (plantago lancelot??) and dandelion to thrive in your yards.[/quote]

I would love to try the elecampane! I did not mention the calendula..boy do I use that in a lot of stuff...especially my soaps!

I do goat milk soap, not glycerin, and sopanified oils for my vegan customers!