Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise regarding my MIL >

need advise regarding my MIL

need advise regarding my MIL

Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Summer Spice
Is there someone else that could make this quilt? I'm getting the feeling that you'd rather not be put in the middle of this?
oh, sure there is. Grandma's other daughter....but will she, noooo. I'm going to do it. Hopefully the daughter wont cretic (sp) it.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Isn't this your husband's grand mother? why not make her a quitl like your MIL suggested and give it to grandma? Make it quick and simple with items on hand. Who cares if she knows you or not.
its very likely to be stolen. I dont mind making grandma a quilt.... I guess its more about the beef I'm having with MIL about her attitude when I told her I was in the middle of 3 other projects and she acted like I should drop everything I was doing and make the quilt. I did offer her one I already have done but she didn't like the idea of lighthouse and requested flowers instead. Fine with me, but she will have to wait til the other projects are done. the main reason for the post was if I should follow the fabric requirements from the pattern and keep the over 1 yard extra or if I should use the adjusted requirements that I came up with that has less waste.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

its very likely to be stolen. I dont mind making grandma a quilt.... I guess its more about the beef I'm having with MIL about her attitude when I told her I was in the middle of 3 other projects and she acted like I should drop everything I was doing and make the quilt. I did offer her one I already have done but she didn't like the idea of lighthouse and requested flowers instead. Fine with me, but she will have to wait till the other projects are done. the main reason for the post was if I should follow the fabric requirements from the pattern and keep the over 1 yard extra or if I should use the adjusted requirements that I came up with that has less waste.[/quote]

I guess what I was trying to say is maybe cut out MIL. Just make a quilt for grandma on your own terms and time. If you want to give the lighthouse quilt give that or make a simpler easy and less expensive quilt since you are concerned about it being stolen. If you end up working with MIL, yes keep any left over fabric. As for the pattern choose the one you are more comfortable with. I am sorry I probably did not understand all the way and probably still do not. I am sure grandma will greatly appreciate it even if she can not express it. I would hope when I am in her position some one would care enough to make a me a quilt even if I am out of it.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM

A lap quilt is a great idea as she can use it in bed as well as with a wheel chair. Maybe you could scan a family photo on the front so it does not walk...I would ask MIL which she would rather you do, use the material and pattern you have or would she like to pick something out and pay for it her self. I am 75 this year and quilt all the time, also retired Administrator in a HUD senior housing complex. Its her mom and she will feel like something special was done for her. Bright colors liked even more hope this helps. Quiltingjaguar in Jax., FL.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM

I made a lap quilt for my MinL. She has memory issues, no one seems to want to use the D. word but...
I found some nice loon fabric to use. She has always loved loons and does remember seeing them at the lake.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:16 PM

grandma always planted pansies every year and I have made the sugestion to MIL that I could make something with pansies in it and she liked the idea. MIL wants a twin sized quilt for the bed. So I am going with 60x80
Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM

How about a memory quilt. Using pictures of her husband, children and grandchildren. It willl be less likely to go missing.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
How about a memory quilt. Using pictures of her husband, children and grandchildren. It willl be less likely to go missing.
Agree with putting pictures in it with family members along with the pansies.

Know your main concern was about the fabric but did want to share this with you: Try to find peace within yourself towards the mil. Mine is now in nh w/alzheimers.

Do set boundaries or maybe even 2 days a month that you will commit to going over and helping her w/anything! and have her keep a list of "to do"'s. my mil got used to it and our time with her became so much more enjoyable and then we in turn invited her over twice a month for a meal or walk in the park, grocery shopping, etc. Perhaps this may not work for every family situation. But it built trust, increased compassion towards one another and we all learned to be at peace.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 PM

MOM was in N/H.. suggest to write her full name in black permant marker on back of quilt. Easier to read if it grows legs and runs around the facility..catch my drift. We had Mom's name on EVERYTHING including socks!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM

I wouldn't worry about the extra yard of fabric. What if you make and error and need to make another sqare or something? Maybe if the fabric was $100 a yard I would be feeling guilty, but not over 10.00 or so. Get what the pattern calls for.