Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 AM

Please post pictures!! And please tell them that so many here in America have them in our thoughts with hopes of better lives for them and their children. Not just as quilters but as citizens of Earth. What a great way to highlight our commonality and at the same time share beautiful differences. Would love to see what designs they choose to sew.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Love how your sewing machine was there and waiting for you!

Would you care to share what your other role in Afghanistan is? I'm sure it is not totally for quilting outreach programs!
I am a senior HR sergeant for the American Forces Network Afghanistan (AFN). The mission of AFN is to spread positive messages and command information to troops on the battlefield and overseas via TV and radio. We are the only source of entertainment in theater (along with Stars and Stripes newspaper) and we have been entertaining troops and keeping them informed for almost 68 years. I know this sounds like a commercial but I am so proud of the broadcasters and maintainers that I support that I give them kudos every chance I get.

Thanks for sharing .... Go ahead and advertise all you like ... stand up and be proud!

For me who has never had direct knowledge via close friends/family in the Forces and all the different branches of it, I am always keen to learn more about the workings! What you are doing is important for those who are serving. I'm sure we have a similar wing with our Canadian troops, as well!

Good for you for taking it a step further to do this outreach.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 AM

This is a wonderful thing to do and I wish you all the luck in the world with it. It is sad they have a bad impression of American women. Guess that comes from all the foolish TV. I know you will change that with time. And women talk. :-) Who knows this may be the start of something bigger.
Peace!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 AM

How wonderful! I don't have any advice on what you can teach - other than compassion for one another. I'll bet you will end up learning just as much as they do. Please keep us up-dated.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 AM

What a great thing to do. I wish I could be a part of it !
Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 AM

What a cool thing you are doing. Just remember to enjoy the experience - your're making lifetime memories here!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Praying for a wonderful time for all.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 AM

Oh, I envy you the experience of this. As Martha Stewart would say "I'ts a good thing" for you and the local women who are joining your group. Wouldn't we quilters love to read a book about this outreach.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 AM

I would do a google and read up on Afghan customs and regiious rules to be on the safe side. You want these ladies to carry a good report back outside the wall so that this spreads.
I am sure if you are successful with this effort that you may have started other quilting through these ladies.
This is so wonderful! I dream that through this effort you save the war from spreading! Nothing is impossible.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 AM

How exciting!! As some have said, allow the group to settle into their own level. If you are permitted, let them know that there are quilters all over the world who will be very happy to hear about the experience and wish them well. We'd be there, if it wasn't so far away. May you have peace in your activity.