Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric shrank-- before my eyes! >

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by keelybird57
I admit that I don't prewash most fabric, but I've never had a problem. Today's experience may change that!

My bff and I enrolled in a 4 hour class at LQS. When we enrolled, we got 20% off all purchases that day. So I purchased fabric for the project, a Rapid Hunter's Star wallhanging. I chose My Asian Garden by Ro Gregg, a quality fabric. It's different for me, especially as it has that metallic gold on it. Even with the discount, it wasn't cheap.

This morning, I was cutting for class, 16 - 6" blocks to be cut diagonally. So since bias edges are challenging for me, after I cut the blocks, I spritzed them with Mary Ellen's Best Pressed and pressed them dry.

When I laid them out to make the diagonal cut, they were 6" x 5.75". I assumed I had cut my strip too narrow. I carefully cut another strip and 6" blocks (from fabric for the border). Again, I spritzed and pressed. Guess what! They were small again! So I did an experiment. After carefully cutting one block, re-measuring, spraying, & pressing, I measured it. The fabric had shrunk!

Has anyone else had this experience? I can't believe I lost 1/4" off every 6" block! Is this complaint-worthy? Do I tell the shop owner? Maybe it's common and I've just been lucky up till now?
another case of "you should ALWAYS prewash your fabric"!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
While it seems complaint worthy, did you read the care instruction on the end of the bolt? If you over-looked that little piece of information, you probably will not be compensated for your loss. If it is not printed I would request a refund, or credit or new fabric all together.
seriously...a refund...COTTON fabric shrinks when it gets wet and it hit with heat...it is a world wide known fact that has been on the record books for thousands of years....
Anyone who has ever sewn clothing(and 99% of all quilter's) know that shrinkage occurs with cotton fabric...like don't buy a cotton TEE unless you get a size larger so it can shrink....don't buy cotton towels with heavy banding on the ends because when the towel shrinks the banding does too and it makes your towel funky on the ends....

cotton fabric shrinks...the bolt does not have to tell you that, LOGIC tells you that!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 AM

I am still pretty new at this, but I do wash and iron all my fabric as soon as I get it home. then fan fold and put on shelf. so far it works for me.

I am still pretty new at this, but I do wash and iron all my fabric as soon as I get it home. then fan fold and put on shelf. so far it works for me.

I always prewash and have had some shrinkage that is amazing. I lost 4" on the width of a red solid. For this reason, I always purchase at least 1/4 yd more than I need or up to a yard for a 3 to 4 yd length or more. Have also had bleeding problems with LQS quality fabrics. I purchased a beautiful blue Patrick Lose Moda marble that has been washed several times and still bleeds. I guess it is time to give up on it. I always prewash due to the shrinkage and bleeding issues I have come across.

sorry my finger stuttered....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 AM

I always prewash the fabric and am amazed at the shrinkage. Rather have it shrink before cutting!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carrie
I always prewash and have had some shrinkage that is amazing. I lost 4" on the width of a red solid. For this reason, I always purchase at least 1/4 yd more than I need or up to a yard for a 3 to 4 yd length or more. Have also had bleeding problems with LQS quality fabrics. I purchased a beautiful blue Patrick Lose Moda marble that has been washed several times and still bleeds. I guess it is time to give up on it. I always prewash due to the shrinkage and bleeding issues I have come across.
Washing in Retayne should set the dye. A few fabrics need two washings in Retayne.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie
Definitely try Retayne to set this one. The Moda marbles are too pretty to give up on!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Do you use spray "starch" or spray "sizing"? And do you iron with steam? I've read somewhere that the back and forth motion with the iron will stretch the fabric out of shape.

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Starch and press BEFORE you cut. I never prewash, I have seen some fabrics shrink as I am spraying them with starch! I always starch before cutting for this exact reason. Wasting expensive fabric!