Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do at a quilting retreat? >

What do you do at a quilting retreat?

What do you do at a quilting retreat?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
Here is what I'm thinking. We have a home that is located on the side of a mountain, no other homes in view. A spring provides all our water, The view is of three ridges. We have auctions in town, a historic Inn and restaurant down the road, three little quilt shops, one owned by the fabric designer. I have three extra queen size beds and one king. Maybe I could hostess a weekend? I am new to quilting and have so much to learn. I feel like I could learn more in one weekend than in a year trying to figure it out myself. AND I'd surely come away with new friends. But maybe those are self serving reasons to try to put one together.
Do you think it would be safe to gather a group of women who have never met before? It seems like most of the small ones have grown out of already established friendships.
The OR/WA quilters from our Quilters board get together. Last year we had seven from the board and had such a good time! We are getting together again in June and already have 11. One of our dear Board members finds us a house at the beach and we split up the cost. It looks like we will all just bring what we want to eat and sew again this year. It worked last year-and I'm sure it will work this year as well. There were only a few of us that new each other from our previous get together but we got to know new ones as well. It sure was a lot of fun.

We made new friends, ate alot, laughed alot, and sewed alot, came back very happy!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 AM

We used to get together at least twice a year at someone's house. We would start quilting on Friday night and stop Sunday afternoon. Lots of good food, good company, interesting conversation and sharing of quilting experiences. I miss them now that I have moved away.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
What is a"guild" what do they do??? thanks
A Quilt Guild is a group of quilters that get together regularly for meetings. They vary from small informal ones that meet in the members homes and medium to larger ones with formal rules, elected officers that meet monthly in a school, church, fire house, etc.
It's a place where quilters can learn new techniques, attend workshops and/or retreats, make charity quilts. Just being with others who understand your passion for quilting is the biggest bonus it think. May in Jersey
Old 04-17-2011, 05:49 AM

If you're looking for retreat centers, check with your local quilt shops... they may very well have their own or can provide you with info on the locations in your area
Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
What do you do on a quilting retreat? Are they always large ones in hotels or are they sometimes in people's homes? Are there certain standard activities or do they change depending on the venue? So you do anything other than quilt? Well, of course, I know you eat chocolate, but other than that? Obviously I've never been on one, and I'm just wondering. Thanks!
I've never been on one either but we met up with a group on a Maine retreat at a remote quilt shop. They were a hoot and I wished I could just join the group and go back to the retreat because they were having so much fun.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 AM

If you have a quilt shop that would assist in organizing it and spreading the word - sounds like you have a good idea.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 AM

I have never been to one, though our LQS has one every year. I don't go to that as it is at an expensive, swanky place that I really don't care for. I have been to two Mancuso Quilt shows, and did enjoy those classes, but would be interested in having a get together with other quilters and sewsewsew, laughlaughlaugh, eateateat......
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM

I've been to three retreats. They have been at "retreat houses". These are businesses where an actual house has been converted for this purpose. There are several bedrooms and bathrooms. Fully stocked kitchen (everything but food), all linens/towels were supplied. There was a large room w/tables, chairs, lights for each person (12 in our case), as well as pressing and cutting stations. I can't wait to go again this fall.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 AM

Jennifer Chiaverini is wonderful, in person when she reads the books to a group you almost forget that they are fiction
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 AM

I love retreats. I host retreats in my home for 5-8 people and I do the cooking. Once a year 3 friends and I load up and I mean load up a yukon and head to NC to another friends for a week and we sew we either order in or make meals ahead for cooking. this last fall we taught her 2 11 yr old boys to quilt they love it and are doing great... just have fun..