"Frozen Shoulder"

Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 AM

I did therapy and no surgery. It works just fine now.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 AM

I had one and doc said I could go to ER, put me to sleep. and he/nurses would LITERALLY PULL my arm and it would fix it. OR he could send me to physical therapy for 6 weeks. I went to theraph BUT...you could try to do the same exercises at home.....fingers running up and down the wall, shrugging shoulders, hot and cold, repeat - anything that will promote movement - good luck. He said surgery would be an overkill.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 AM

Physical Therapy should help... it will in the vast majority of cases. It is actually not an uncommon condition. Therapy will not necessarily be comfortable, but it should definitely help.

Praying for relief...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 AM

I've been going to PT 2 times a week for a similar condition, and have learned a lot about the shoulder. As running1 said, it's pretty common for "people of a certain age" to have shoulder problems.

The nonsurgical approach focuses on repositioning the muscles and ligaments and then strengthening them so they stay where they belong.

It's slow, but it's definitely working!

Jory
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 AM

I had a "frozen" shoulder and did he massgae therapy, physio, cortisone injections for a year, had the shoulder ripped under anaesthetic. Finally after 18 months of pure pain and helplessness on my left side, the surgeon went into the shoulder and removed the acromium-clavicular ligament that was impinged between the bones. He said a torn rotator cuff would have been a better problem. That was in 1994 and now my "bionic" shoulder never causes a problem - strong and flexible.

Good luck with yours. Be patient and do your follow up therapies religiously
Old 08-06-2011, 05:07 AM

I can tell you from experience, it is not going to get better until you get some treatment. I put it off too, but I wanted to quilt & sew. My Dr. said he could make it better than it was before. He was right! Get you a good Dr.!!
Originally Posted by Charlee
Anyone else have this? From what I can find out from "Dr. Google" ;) it looks like I'm experiencing this not-so-lovely condition.
Just kind of curious as to what the doc might tell me when I actually break down and go....
Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 AM

My condition was called Adhesive Capsulitis, it is common in older women, especially women with diabetes. I went to a sports medicine dr and he recommended physical therapy. I can move my shoulder freely now, but let me tell you, I cried when the therapist was working with me. I threatened not to go back, but I'm glad I stuck with it. You could hear the adhesions popping as they broke loose. If I had to go through the therapy again, I would in a heartbeat as painful as it was. It was so worth it to have the motion back in my shoulder!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:20 AM

I had it too. I don't know how I got it, but it was very painful. I had to go to PT to "fix" it. Both of my sisters had it too. My older sister needed surgery for it. My shoulder is starting to bother me again now. I guess I had better start exercising it or I'll be back in PT again. UGH!!

Good luck with it. I swear those Physical therapists enjoyed hurting me!! Only kidding.... but I did often tell them that they were NOT my favorite people!! (Smiling as I said it!) I did also get a cortisone shot in the shoulder. Without that shot, I would never have even been able to let the PTs work on me!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 AM

I had it in both shoulders, not at the same time. One shoulder reponded to injections. Despite PT it continues to freeze. Some shoulders have to run the course. My second shoulder had injections and then was maniptulated.
Oddly enough, both my sisters experienced frozen shoulders, they were able to use PT and exercise for relief.
Go to "Web MD" and Mayo Clinic site for more info.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 AM

The only alternative to surgery is to get it moving. It's painful, but so is surgery! And after my surgery I had to do 6 weeks of physical therapy--getting it moving--anyway. When we feel the pain, we tend to cradle the arm to ourselves, which just makes it more immobile.

When my other shoulder showed signs of the same, I began the exercises--standing facing a wall walking your fingers up the wall works well. The therapist also gave me a sort of pully with a rope and two handles to hang in a doorway. Then you sit in a chair and sort of "see-saw" your arms up and down, lifting one at a time and pulling down with the other hand. Works great!

Will be praying for you!