Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dialysis Patients Quilts >

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Dialysis Patients Quilts

Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland
Keep with the cottons. Our center here asked that we do not use fleece, or any synthetic fabric, because it can react with the patient's skin. Flannel rag quilts work really well too.
Interesting. I made a fleece "blanket" for my dh. No one mentioned not to use fleece. I did the kind that you cut the edges and tie. This makes it a double thickness. Dh likes the soft feel, and it seems to stay on him without slipping off. I am sure some patients would have a problem with it. Thats good to know. Our center will furnish a blanket if needed, but I notice most of the people have their own. Some are very pretty quilts.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 AM

Oh wow, I never ever thought of doing this. I worked as a Dialysis Tech for 8 yrs and I loved it. It was my favorite job. I loved getting to know the patients and taking care of them. I was thinking not too long ago about how I would like to make some quilts to donate to some place. I know there are lots of organizations to donate to, but I've never heard anyone talk about donating to Dialysis centers. I think this is awesome and they have a special place in my heart.
Thank you so much for suggesting this.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM

how thoughtful of you to do this.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!! What size do they prefer?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 AM

I am wondering if it would be helpful to attach a loop at the top of the quilt to go over the head and thus keep the quilt from sliding off. Or it could be two lengths that could be tied around the neck. If this were made of soft flannel it should not be too irritating to use.
Does this sound like a good idea or no?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 AM

When I make them I use flannel and make it long so it can be tucked under their feet.. Lots don't want shoes on for the hours they must sit.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Thank you for starting this thread, as my DH just started dialysis. I've gathered music fabric to make him a quilt - he's a jazz musician. I've been looking for the right pattern for this. I'm anxious to read the other replies for inspiration. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks so much for this information and request. My DH was headed for dialysis before he passed and I know of a couple of people who are on dialysis. I should have thought of that before and since my friend and I am already making charity quilts for this area - think maybe we should invest in some more flannel and make some fun raggy quilts to be given. I have been making baby quilt size raggy quilts with batting inside them for warmth - could someone who knows about dialysis p.m. me and let me know if that is a good idea or not? Thanks so much
Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM

It's worth putting a note pinned to the quilt on how to wash them, as they may get blood on them.

I have found the best way is just to chuck them into a washing machine on a cold rinse cycle with a handful of salt, works wonders.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 AM

I made one for a friend and put her name on it (by machine), several places as part of the design. She said that was most useful as things tend to get mislaid.

When I made a quilt for an aunt in a nursing home, I appliqued her name in big letters. To make it more personal, I appliqued, Gram, Auntie , her first name, her married name,(Mrs. John Smith)everything she was ever called. It was hard to lose and it brought back many memories.