Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? >

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM

I just got to say the longer you hold out on getting the sergery the worse it gets. I kept putting it off thinking using braces would help but it really didn't help that much. I finely had to get the sergery and because I damaged the nerves my thumb doesn't bend right.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 PM

The Dr says I have that but a friend says to put a brace on with about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch magnet like ads you put on refrig with magnet facing wrist. Wear to bed day and night for 7 days and should be releaved for several months then do again. I have kept the pain down for 3 years, quilt for fun grandma g
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM

get the surgery...............................make sure you get a referral to a great surgeon. I had both hands repaired. Thankfully no permenant damage was done to the nerves before i had the repair. I absolutely love the results. before i was miserable, braces, rx's, ice, nothing made it better. the surgery was micro, just a bandaid covered the incision.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM

I got a crippling case of CTS when I worked in an office from using an electric typewriter much of each day 5 days a week. Three things cured my CTS: I got a computer to replace the electric typewriter (keyboard difference is amazing); I wore wrist braces 24/7 for a very long time and took an anti-inflammatory drug ... can't remember which one, but this was about 20 years ago and I needed a prescription for it at the time. I am still grateful that I did not require surgery, but I wore the braces for probably a couple of years. I still keep a good pair on hand, as well as a thumb brace; occasionally I need one or the other.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM

I put up with it for years, then last november I decided to have both wrists done one week apart, Wish I had gotten the surgery 15 years ago!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Was told I had to have surgery on both wrists several years ago but had two small children and teach elementary education so I couldn't afford the (at that time anyway) 8 week recovery per surgery. Did research and began taking vitamin B6....just B6 NOT B complex with B6 in it. Never had surgery and am doing fine. Out of the dozens of people I've shared this with, only 2 did not have great results!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel about 20 years ago. I wore the wrist braces every night with moderate relief. I then started with the cortisone injections every 3-6 months with moderate relief and then they didn't work anymore. I worked for a pain management doctor at the time and he did some nerve testing on my arm and found that carpal tunnel wasn't my real problem but that I had a nerve impingement in my elbow. Started getting cortison injections in my elbow. Than my hands started getting numb again. I saw my ortho doctor and he wanted to do the surgery. I finally agreed. As a nurse, I knew that the success rate was very low. I started doing some research and found that perhaps there was a nerve problem higher up. I made an appointment with a chiropractor. At my first visit, he did exrays of my neck and shoulders. He could tell that I had been in an accident about 20 years ago and that I had a neck injury. My "carpal Tunnel" was actually a pinched nerve in my neck. I cancelled my surgery and I worked with the chiropractor and home therapy for about 3 months and all numbness and tingling went away. I still do home excercises to keep my neck in alignment and prevent the nerve from being pinched. The carpal tunnel surgery has such a high failure rate because it is often misdiagnosed. Make sure it really is carpal tunnel that you have.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Was told I had to have surgery on both wrists several years ago but had two small children and teach elementary education so I couldn't afford the (at that time anyway) 8 week recovery per surgery. Did research and began taking vitamin B6....just B6 NOT B complex with B6 in it. Never had surgery and am doing fine. Out of the dozens of people I've shared this with, only 2 did not have great results!!!
Yeah, I forgot about B6; I took that also.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 PM

I spent 32yrs working on a computer & quilting. When my hands or elbows would hurt I get out the Absorbine Jr horse strength for the feed store . My Maw Maw used it all the time on her hands & arms legs at night . She would put it on here hands after working in the field & quilting then put socks on her hands to sleep with a generous coating . I started the same thing about 25yrs ago still use it to day. I don't have carpel tunnel a lot of people I worked with did had surgery. It smells like spearmint not a bad odor, doesn't stain your skin and it works to take care of the pain. Go to your local feed store for horse ,cows ask for it. Give it a try good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM

I to had to give up crocheting and I don't work at one thing for long periods of time. I will sew for a whilt stop and fold laundry then iron fabric and then go pack to sewing again. I used to work as a school custodian for years and for some reason using the vacuum and crocheting had something in common so I had to teach myself to vacuum with my left hand and give up crocheting. That is when I started quilting. So I guess you could say it was a good thing. Now I just make sure not to over tax myself. I only get a twang when I do a lot of hand sewing like putting a binding on a big quilt. Learn what works for you and keep doing it. I would never quit quilting.