Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? >

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 AM

I had surgery in both wrists for carpel tunnel and it was the best thing that could have happened for me. I had tried all the other therapies first, but they just didn't do the trick. Wish you well and hope you don't need surgery.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 AM

I had surgery on both wrists 40 yrs ago & it was wonderful! Now at 80, it's back. I wear my braces during the day but need occasional relief as arthritis has set in. Gave up knitting,chrochetin etc but still quilt.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 AM

Carpal tunnel for me over the years worsened so braces and all the little remedies didnt work. I opted for surgery and havent had a problem since. My suggestion is to make surgery a last option in any area that there is no cure.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:56 AM

This is excellent advice. Also, ask your Dr. for a prescription for Voltaren gel. It is an nsaid but won't bother your stomach or kidneys like things taken internally. It cost me $31 with my insurance but well worth it. I will be praying that you pain lessens. I know that my ankle, hip and knee have been much better since I started this regimen only a few days ago. You only have to put a small amount on and it is nongreasy and no smell.

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I had the braces made to fit my hand with the steel in them and sleep in them. Allows me a lot more of my day before the pain sets in. Also spread things out. Carpal pain is from repetition. SO I cut a while, sew a while, sew, take a stretching break, etc. Just to break up repeating the same motion over and over. It helps a lot
Old 09-30-2011, 04:12 AM

I had carpul tunnel syndrome 35 yrs ago,I had surgery to both wrists and never looked back! I can quilt, hand sew applique, ride my horses etc etc.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 AM

I had it and had surgery to correct it. No problems now!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 AM

the braces, and advil, or aleve, so far, and I have had it many years.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Originally Posted by ptquilts
I have braces too that I wear at night. They help.But carpal tunnel is not a lack of blood flow, it is a compression of the nerves going through the carpal tunnel, a structure in your wrist. (BTW, even "pins and needles" is not a lack of blood flow, it is also a nerve problem.)

too many years of quilting, knitting, crocheting, and mine was made worse by sleeping with my hands in weird positions.

Exactly! I have had carpal tunnel problems in both wrists....it got so bad that at times I had problems holding a fork to eat with! And the pain....omg...unbearable. I opted to get them surgically fixed and have had no issues since. It was by far the best choice for me. The surgery is very simple with an incision about an inch long in the base of the palm, 5 stitches. I had a half cast (cast on the palm side of the hand) so I couldn't bend my wrist for a week with lifting restrictions for 6 weeks. The relief from pain was immediate. I would do it again in a flash!
Ditto! Just DO NOT have surgery on both at the same time! I had the second one done after the cast was off the first. My DIL was sorry when she opted to have both done at once. She couldn't do anything for herself for weeks, not even in the bathroom! LOL But do have the surgery if it is really bad. I developed tendonitis in the right hand as well, as other muscles were compensating for the weakness. So I had to have the surgery for that at the same time. Another inch long incision along the base of my thumb. But as said above, the relief was immediate. Also, faithfully follow through with everything they tell you to do afterward with PT and massage or your hands will stiffen up. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM

I had surgery in my right hand and it cured it. But, when I started doing GFG piecing it came back. I started wearing the splints every night and now no problems. I wear on both hands - just to be safe. I am so used to it now that I cannot sleep without them. If surgery is an option - go for it. It is the best remedy.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 AM

First try the braces. It worked for me. I ended up with carpul tunnel in both wrists and tennis elbow...all caused by hand quiling on a flat frame that didn't tilt towards me. It was an old frame that looked like a card table with just the outer rim (double rim) like a giant embroidery hoop.