Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you "name" your sewing machines? >
  • Do you "name" your sewing machines?

• Do you "name" your sewing machines?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:48 AM

What do you do if your machine has to go in for repair? If you only have one machine, you aren't able to sew. I just pull out another machine. When I listed the machines I have named (1 Bernina, 6 FWs and a treadle), I didn't add that I have two other Singers, two other Bernina and a Brother, plus two sergers.

I got the treadle after the electricity went out. I also got a battery OTT light as a companion for the treadle. Now, with power or without, I can still sew.

I'm setting up my sewing room, and one of my FWs will be set up with the Martelli binding system I purchased several years ago and will be my dedicated binding machine. Another of my FWs will be going in for a paint job. That will be my next birthday present to myself.

Last edited by mckwilter; 05-16-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    Old 05-16-2013, 06:00 AM

The only machine I've named is my featherweight. She is Sophie (or Sewfie). Haven't decided on a name for my treadle machine yet. She still needs some TLC to be ready to sew.
    Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r
    I just have to ask . . . why do some of you have so many sewing machines? Do they each do something special or better than the other?
    It's not something I set out to do on purpose. I have 7 machines, and most of them were gifts. My first one was from my then-boyfriend over 20 years ago. After I got married, my husband bought me an embroidery machine, then a serger, then a midarm on a frame, all as Christmas gifts. I found a Singer 15-91 at a garage sale and could not beat the price. I have a friend who upgraded her machine, so I purchased her 9" Janome and again, could not beat the price. I have another friend who upgraded her 18" Wow (stretched Singer 201) to a computerized quilting system, and once again, could not beat the price.

I own a total of 7 machines, and not once have I picked out the one I wanted, and not once have I purchased from a dealer. I'm not complaining by any means, I just think it's kind of funny.
    Old 05-17-2013, 03:54 AM

My Vintage or antique Machines I do name, I have a few older ones I named also. Too many to list, I do not name my new ones but may have to. I love My Elna 740 and am becoming very attached to it, lol.....for embroidery I love my Viking Diamond. It sews like a dream too.
    Old 05-17-2013, 04:19 AM

I have enough trouble keeping names of family members straight some days don't want to add machines to list...
    Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

My vintage Bernina is Betsy, my first FW is Bitsy (aka Little Bit, because I kept calling her Betsy lol), and my 2nd FW is Billie Jo.
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 AM

My "old" Kenmore, ca 1979, is Ken, my portable Kenmore is "Ken, Jr", my Juki is Judy, my Singer treadle is Trudy, my Mom's old New Home is Mom, and my off-brand commercial is X, and my Janome is Janice.
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 AM

My new 10 needle embroidery machine I call Big Bertha, she is like a train but I'm sure enjoying using her.
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 AM

My 440 is Max because while Imdo love it, I am liking Baby Locks for their price point. My Ellisimo is Miss Ellie because she is so feminine and does such lovely embroidery.
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 AM

Oh this is such a relief!!! I'm not the only one :-D... My DH recently surprised me with a new Bernina 750 QE, which I absolutely LOVE... I've named it after my mother who also would have loved it!! Her name is "Clarene III" She was Clarene I, I am Clarene II (my middle name is Clarene), and now the machine is Clarene III. What fun reading all the names!!