Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose.... >

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Old 09-06-2013, 04:35 AM

I've made dozens of blankies for babies. Just two yards of flannel RST and turned. That's 36 X 42. My nieces just rave about them, how nice they are to use. Two of the grandsons still have theirs at age 15 and 18. For the more recent ones, I bought just a little more fabric than one yard of each and made a pillow to go with the blanket. Seems more like a gift when it becomes a "set".
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 AM

I made a quilt for my DH uncle's wife. None of his family care for her and to be honest, neither do I. She was undergoing chemo for cancer and I thought it would be a nice gesture since cancer patients are always cold when receiving treatments. She has told everyone she sees about that quilt and keeps it on her bed. So even though you may not care for the person you may be pleasantly surprised at their reaction.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 AM

I guess I'm a real meanie -- I wouldn't go to that expense or trouble for someone I really didn't care about. I'd go buy a "token" small gift and let it go at that.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't bother wasting my time. If you feel obligated to give them something then get a gift card. Why spend that much time on someone you don't care for. We all know how much a baby quilt can cost. Idon't put a lot of time and effort into someone I don't care for. Did that once and they complained about the color and why weren't they consulted and could I make a different one. BS! Give them a card and make something later nice for someone you like and will ENJOY making.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 AM

My DH frequently asks that I make an item for a family member,usually when I'm in the middle of another project. I feel that if God let me have the talent to do something that will make another person happy then it is my honor to do so. I understand what you are saying, but try to think of the little one that the quilt will make happy.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Looking at this thread, it seems most are telling you to not make the quilt. I say you are rewarded for any good deeds you do. Don't worry about it if it is mistreated. I agree with BettyGee, above.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Watch now, this will be THE MOST APPRECIATED quilt ever! You will wish you loved making it more.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 AM

It's just a very bad idea, period. Babies tend to suck/chew on everything and could easily choke, on a rag quilt.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Don't wash the squares -you need that bit of shrinkage and fraying to get the good raggedy look. And try not to think about th person that's getting it if you don't care for them. You are really doing this for your husband, so do a good job!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Evey baby deserves the best. Whether you like his/her parents is not a consideration. I have had this same battle with myself, so I am not being a self-righteous, judgmental prig. I finally decided it's just a matter of keeping your eye on the donut (the baby) and not the hole (the parent.) froggyintexas

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I'm making a quickie rag quilt for a baby gift using Jo-Ann's pre-cut FQ flannel bundle.

Not concerned about shrinkage issue that much, but just wondering if anyone can tell me if I should wash the FQs first. They are blues, pinks, greens, yellows, purples. Not dark, not pastel, sort of medium color. Question #1 - If I make the squares 5", how many squares should I end up with and how big will the blanket be?

Now confession time: I'm making it for someone I really don't care for, but I feel the obligation because it's someone in my DH family. I frankly don't care if it shrinks or not. Just thinking it would be nice for the baby to drag around and nap with. Not concerned about impressing the parents, so I'm not going to a lot of trouble on this one.

Question #2 - Have you ever felt obligated to make a gift and didn't really care to much about the outcome?