I want a chain stitch machine

Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 PM

They are good machines. The only problem I have had, is a belt problem. I couldn't get the belt on so I took it to OSMG and he put on a new one. Still had a problem. Way too tight in belt area. Won't turn like it used to. Gave up on OSMG and bought a cheap Singer to finish a project. I finally said to myself, you can fix other machines tackle Old Kenny again. The pulley was not in alignment and the belt is too wide, doesn't sit down in the pulley like it should. I got a new belt from Sears, same belt still too wide. Did get the pulley aligned, a washer was in the wrong place. Still turns hard but does sew well. It is a great machine and with a bobbin adapter that come with it, it will do a chain stitch!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 PM

I've located a 17540, 17570 and a 18033 that look decent and are within my budget - under $150 including shipping. Anyone have any ideas what might be some of the differences between them?

I got DH to lighten up - only took a pan of home made lasagna and going on a 6 hour ride with him yesterday (he had to deliver something) and a promised Pecan pie I'll make later this week. The way to his heart really is through his stomach and I'm a pretty good cook!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've located a 17540, 17570 and a 18033 that look decent and are within my budget - under $150 including shipping. Anyone have any ideas what might be some of the differences between them?
Those all look fairly similar, and the accessories they take are likely the biggest difference. I'd go with whichever one looks the best and has the most accessories. Do you have any that are local to you?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

I got DH to lighten up - only took a pan of home made lasagna and going on a 6 hour ride with him yesterday (he had to deliver something) and a promised Pecan pie I'll make later this week. The way to his heart really is through his stomach and I'm a pretty good cook!
The 1803 uses the super high shank feet. You can usually find them on ebay BUT they're a little pricier than low shank like the 1754 & 1757 use. So if the 1803 is missing some feet/accessories, I'd go for the 1754 or 1757.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM

mine chain stitches too love it attachment is in the yellow box
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-1972.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:53 PM

Thanks Path49 - I don't want the high shank, so that is very good to know.

mimak - I live in rural South Dakota, and so far I've never found a machine less than 70 miles away, but that's sort of "local" around here. Most I find when I go into the Twin Cities to visit family - and that is 400 miles away, and we've gone as much as 1 hour farther away to pick up a machine.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 PM

May have to rethink the long/short shank issue - I looked and all the really neat accessorie sets are for the long shank machines.

Does anyone know if the Monogrammer and extended cam set will work with a short shank machine? I know the Monogrammer comes with a special foot that is long shank - I've not seen one with a short shank machine, but I've not paid all that much attention in the past.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I love sewing on my W&G Treadle. It makes a solid stitch. (W&G Chainstitch does not "unravel" if it breaks)
When you come the end of a seam if you pull the work up and allow the thread to get pulled to the other side, (and cut it in the back) that locks the seam. But if you leave the thread on the top of the work you can unravel it. Do you have a special W&G that does a double locking chain stitch? I think that is two threads. The common W&G is a regular chain stitcher -- they all make the same stitch. W&G can make very small tight stitches, though, which may be harder to unravel.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

My mom majored in Home Ec in college - her machine was a chain stitch machine - she can't remember what it was though. She says it was small. She said a lot of people laughed at her until they figured out her seams held as good as the rest of them. When she graduated her parents bought her a brand new FW. I think she had some Japanese machine with cams for a short time until we broke it. Then she recently got a new Singer. My sister and I cleaned up her old FW and she said if she knew the FW would run like new again she wouldn't have bothered with the new Singer.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:38 AM

I missed this discussion about chain stitching Kenmores by a couple of years, but I just now discovered what this little box of parts is for! I have six Kenmore machines: two 158.14000, one 158.14002, one 158.13580, a 158.17300, and a 385.1284180. Oops, forgot my little 3/4 serger. Most recently I acquired the exceptionally clean (looks brand new!)158.17300 at a flea market for $15. It looks just like the one pictured with the cute kitty standing on it. What a find! But back to the chain stitch gizmo - the "mysewingmachineobsession" blog shows a photo of the bobbin area, and indicates there is a small hole in the hook for the adapter to snap into. Alas none of my machines appear to have this hole. I am trying to make a list of Kenmore machines that have the hole and can accept the chain stitch adapter. Maybe if I allow my hubby to collect a few more tools in his shop, he'd let me buy another Kenmore, if it's the right one! So far, my list includes 158.17550, 1802, 18034, 158.18022, and 1757. I would greatly appreciate any additions or corrections!