Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns from Magazines >

Patterns from Magazines

Patterns from Magazines

Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM

Being new to quilting, I need a pattern to go by as I am not yet confident enough to try to design my own yet and figure out the yardages, etc.. I have bought a couple of these on ebay. I guess I viewed it as the ebay seller purchased the magazine, and was just trying to make some of their money back. The prices ($6 or so) seems comparable to prices I see for patterns on etsy, pintrest, etc. One time I did feel I got ripped off a little, however, as the 'pattern' was literally printed on one side of a post card--not nearly enough detail for me--didn't even have the yardage amounts for binding, backing, etc. and the assembly directions were quite sparse. So now I request more detail about the detailed directions before buying. I have since started subscribing to some quilting magazines and have purchased a couple of quilting books, so feel I have my next few quilt patterns selected. Maybe by the time I get them done I will feel more confident about branching out on my own! But to address the main question, my opinion is the quilt designer received her desired compensation and publicity by getting her designs selected and published in the magazine, and once it is published in the public domain there is not any further compensation due on the resale of the magazines. It is just like buying used books--the author doesn't get any royalties other than on the first, original sale of that edition of the book, the rights to that book are to the person who purchased it.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 AM

I agree. If the pattern is still available for sale, the creator should reap the royalties.
Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I think it is wrong to make money off someone elses design. The person who wrote the pattern should be the one selling them.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:39 AM

Tacky? Funny.I have saved money buying some of the patterns that I really wanted and not have to buy the whole magazine.Have bought used patterns too.Is that tacky too?So I won't disown e-bay for that.......
Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 AM

I agree with dunster you are allowed to resell your car or anything else that you buy I respect copyright laws but sometimes I do think they get a little carried away like why can onde person take stack and whack redo itb to pne block wonder and make money on that but another would not be allowed to sell an unwanted pattern just a lot does not make sence
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Agree with Dunster and Dodie and any others of the same opinion. We don't think it is bad to resell a sewing machine, or sewing machine parts without a kickback to any of the sewing machine companies do we? They are the ones with patents and copyrights for manuals, etc. What about fabric? We resell it and buy it here too. Anyway, just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 AM

This is a really ticklish situation and there are many well thought out comments. When you purchase a pattern or a magazine the designer has received the payment for their product (design) Now, in its original form it is yours to do with as you please-in its original form. If you do not use the pattern the designer still has been paid. If you use the pattern you have gotten fair value for your expenditure. If the pattern designer or magazine state that it is for personal use you are bordering on the unethical if you use it and then sell it. If you do not use it and sell it you are simply recovering money that you can use for other things and it probably isn't unethical. But to sell someones work (design) in any copied form is unethical and very dishonest. We as quilters should want to show that we value the work of others by using the product in an honest way. The reason we buy patterns and magazines is because we cannot do what the designer has produced. Remember the golden rule-it applies here.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 AM

Interesting thread….

I have read many times on this board, quilters are tearing out the parts of the magazines they want to keep and discarding the rest of the magazine in favor of saving space and/or tidying up.

What do you think will happen to these pages if or when you pass away, or decide you no longer want them?

I think it's entirely possible the same thing could/would happen to your tear outs…..

Just saying….
Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 AM

I agree it's tacky, I purchased one and it was a poor copy ...Joy, what is CRO?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 AM

This is so interesting.... And has brought up many ?? In my little mind.....like all these patterns on the net...can they be printed/copied/sold ....some will state not to, but others say free......can I, for example print out a pattern and pass on to my guild members-no charge, as all do not computers and not have access...... This reminds me of the music thing a few yrs back.......and maybe still.....can't play a tune unless royalties paid to original performer or something. E-books, lots of publishers, authors do not want to offer, loss of revenue...oh it is getting so complicated, but interesting
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM

I agree, I buy used magazines and books all the time at flea markets. When I'm at the Dr. office, recipes are often torn out. And all the contributors have already been paid at the publishers. Now if they were making multiple copies and selling them, I'm pretty sure that is copyright infringement.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have an entirely different opinion - (but that is all it is, opinion). As long as the original magazine pages are sold, I think it is entirely legal and there's nothing at all dishonest or underhanded about it. The person who owns the magazine has a right to sell it - or parts of it - to anyone else. You also have the right to sell any pattern that you own, whether or not you have used that pattern already, as long as you don't make copies of the pattern, either to sell or to keep. As for the designer being paid, he/she was paid by the magazine. Personal use means that the design can't be used for commercial purposes. In the past I have heard that eBay has stopped sales where copies of magazines were being sold, but they are okay with the original pages being sold.