Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • How do I convince "them" to buy retro? >
  • How do I convince "them" to buy retro?

• How do I convince "them" to buy retro?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by trivia42
    For another spot of clarity, I work in a store that sometimes gets "retro/vinatge" sewing machines to sell, not a SM dealership or LSMS specifically. I have seen these perfectly nice older machines snubbed repeatedly because they're not the latest/greatest and need a way to help people give them a chance.
    Questions customers may have.....what is the working history and ownership ? Have the machines be fully cleaned and serviced? Are the electrical cords up to code? Lots of questions about the reliability and safety of the "vintage" machines. And the availability of replacement parts may also be a consideration. My 2 cents.

As is said earlier, i love to look at "vintage" machines . I do appreciate the interest in them. I also have my late Aunts' 1953 Centennial Singer in the desk. no, I never use it. I know that the cord is safe tho. My late. Uncle was an electrician and the cord is newer, not original.

My DH. Love "vintage" cars but would we seriously drive one for everyday? No. No safety equipment, etc. Might not be a great analogy but .....the original question had to do with why machines are snipubbed. We buy what we want.

sandy
    Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 AM

Sandy, what Singer model do you have with the centennial badge? To bring in the car analogy, saying you have a Singer centennial is like saying you have a Chevy from 1953. Enthusiasts want to know what model of Chev you have LOL!!
    Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 AM

Find out what the machine originally cost, adjust it for today's dollars, then put out a bold card with the adjusted price with the original price in small type. AND YOU CAN HAVE THIS QUALITY MACHINE FOR $ *****. Have some fun.
    Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 AM

I drive my vintage sewing machine every day.
    Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Anastasia! LOL!!!!!
    Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 AM
    Power Poster

Ha - I sold the car that runs like a sewing machine this morning...
    Old 06-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Things that make the vintage models the only option for me are the stitch quality, the price of the machines, I can service it myself and there are far more spare parts available. The new ones are sealed forever, they don't even make spare parts for them, they are designed to fail and be superceded when they do fail ("planned obsolescence") and the only ones that make a stitch that comes close to that of an older machine will cost thousands of dollars (e.g. Bernina).

The whole self reliance thing is very big with me: It's probably because I work with computers that I don't want them controlling my car or my sewing machine. They break, they glitch and with sewing machines they usually cost more to repair than a new one.
    Old 06-04-2014, 02:42 PM
    Banned

I had a person come by a couple weeks ago to look at one of my "extras" and while there and talking about all of the old machines I have, the lady saw a modern machine that a friend left for me to look at. She said OH, how much for that one" I ended up having to explain why I was laughing so hard.

The thing that seemed to sway her to the "Iron side" was when I showed her the new one with the top opened and the back inspection plate/underside of the vintage. Even though she was not exactly "mechanically inclined" she could see the difference in quality, ruggedness, and "surviveability" (her word)

She bought the vintage (was a good thing, since the modern one was not for sale anyways....hehe)
    Old 06-04-2014, 02:54 PM

I'm 85yrs old and a loooooong time ago for more money, you got more of what you were buying and good quality. Then along came plastic. And down went quality, but more money and less longevity. Isn't that so with Autos and everything? I've got several vintage machines and can't part with any of them. I love them.
    Old 06-04-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Sandy, what Singer model do you have with the centennial badge? To bring in the car analogy, saying you have a Singer centennial is like saying you have a Chevy from 1953. Enthusiasts want to know what model of Chev you have LOL!!

Macybaby, I understand! I am starting to feel "guilty"!! So.....i will post photos of my Vintage Singer 15-91 year 1951! ( seal says 1951...). Under a separate thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6745132

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 06-04-2014 at 03:18 PM.