Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Long Arm sewing machine >
  • Long Arm sewing machine

• Long Arm sewing machine

Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 PM

I've suddenly realized that I'm doing just the research many ladies on this thread have talked about...

At AQS QuiltWeek yesterday, I was actually looking for a frame because it's gotten to be a pain (quite literally) to crawl around on the hardwood floor to pin-baste my quilt sandwich. I did a full (double) bed size one a couple weeks ago and was in pain for days. (Maybe I need to go to the gym or yoga...but that's another story!)

Anyway, I'm already getting an idea of what I want. I'd tried a mid-arm, I think it was an HQ 16, at a quilt show last year but didn't like their stitch regulator, and of course, that doesn't even use a frame.

Yesterday, I found the Grace frames, and talked to a local dealer. We agreed that using my $3500 Brother VQ3000 isn't probably the best for that machine.

I thought about a straight stitch machine, as many people use a Brother 1500 or Juki 2010(?) with the Grace frames. However, having that little space (these have 9" throats) to quilt seems to be very limiting. I.e, I think it would drive me crazy.

I did try and really liked the Block RockIt, but my local Brother dealer seemed quite down on it (I need to talk to him some more to see if he really knows something bad about it.) If I go that route I want to wait until another show--as a show special, they had the BRI with the frame for the same price as the machine alone.

I think I'll also try the "rent time at a local shop" idea--we do have one that does that, I think--just to try a long arm. I don't think I"d even be able to justify half the cost of most LA machines, but I want to try that out before making any decisions.

Long story short:

I want a frame to prevent the crawl on the floor problem
    I want enough working space to FMQ a whole block area at a time
    I don't want to spend $10K or more!!
    I want a frame I can fit in my sewing room (which fortunately is long, though narrow)

Just starting the hunt! Thanks, everyone, for sharing your views here. Further advice and ideas eagerly awaited.

Hallie in NM
    Old 01-19-2015, 06:47 PM

I hear you about not being able to crawl around on the floor! I could not, plus the strain on my shoulders and arms with trying to quilt on my DMS meant I really avoided anything big unless I planned on paying a long armer. But I did rent time on one at the LQS and loved it! Just not convenient to do it that way-too far from home to work for a period and then stop and return later. So I dreamt of owning one, played on all of them at big shows and thought it would never happen due to $$. When my Mom passed (she taught me to sew)she left some $$ and my DH insisted I buy something I wanted that my Mom would think was cool (she would go to those big shows with me!). I knew it was a long arm. I found a used Gammill via my LQS and since the previous owner had died, I also bought all her thread, rulers, pantos, books,etc. It was a true bargain.
    Couple of ideas I'd suggest-while my machine has a 14' table, a 12' would have been plenty.
    And as far as throat space--you want to actually try that--it will depend on your arm length and its silly to buy larger than you can COMFORTABLY use
    Make sure you can adjust the height of the table/frame--hydraulics are nice but expensive
    Consider used--get the word out to LQS, dealers, at guilds that you are looking. That's how my Gammill fell into my lap! Watch ads in "penny savers", etc including auctions.
    Don't spend a fortune assuming you can quilt for others and make a fortune--you may--but not right away and if there are many long armers in your area, it will make it very competitive--and many quilters seem to be buying sit-down set-ups for their own use.
    After you buy one, do spend the $$ to go to a large show to take some classes, also check out machine quilting guilds, groups, etc in your area as they usually are very helpful.

Good luck! I love long arm quilting.
    Old 01-19-2015, 07:19 PM

When I worked at a quilt store they bought a Nolting Fun quilter, and I learned on that machine.. After i retired I bought a midarm for $1000. on Craigslist and it had a wonderful stitch but after using the Nolting I was not happy.. Sold it on Craigslist for $900. and found and purchased an HQ16 also on Craigslist for $4,500. The lady that I bought it from has called to find out how it was working out. It has a stitch regulator but is makes too much noise and I find that I can work better without the regulator.
    Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=luvstoquilt301;7052552]I test drove a couple at a quilt show and decided I liked Handquilter16. Then I watched Craigslist every.single.day. After 2 years I found one for $3,500 offered $2,500 and bought it. I love it and there are many many videos to help you learn how to use it. I thought it was like a big Featherweight and that helped me to be fearless.

Wow, you got a deal. I did the same watching Craigslist and lists on the web. I finally got the floor model at a store here in Phoenix, I did get the HQ16 pro-stitcher with it , which I didn't think I wanted (computer), but now that I have it I like it. I didn't feel I got enough help from the dealer that I bought from, but since I bought I found another dealer and a HQ16 instructor here that helped a lot. And a HQ group that meets every other month with a teacher at the store at no charge. I would not make as many quilts as I do if I didn't have it. It has become one of my hobbies, never have done it for hire and probably never will, but love doing it. I quilt for many charities, QOV, Aid to Adoptions of Special Kids, and Christ Child Society and a few others. Even though I paid a lot for it, I am VERY Happy I have it.
    Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM

Oh, and I have the studio frame, which is the "good" one. I had gone to see one for sale at a home that had it set up on what seemed to me to be a big banquet table!!! not stable and it seemed to bow from the weight. My frame is adjustable in every way. Can be set up large or small. Can't remember the size but I don't have the extra poles in to make it the largest as I don't have room and I don't need it. I am happy with the stitch regulator, too bad you didn't like it when you tried it, maybe you just need practice.
    Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM

Bought a Babylock Tiara with stitch regulator in September and am loving it. Learning as I go, but my skills are getting better with each project.
    Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 PM

Well I first started with a Sweet Sixteen that was Nov 2012. Then I got the Avante Aug 2014 on the 12 foot frame. In November I upgraded that to add the Pro-Stitcher. I finally feel now I'm satisfied, until I wear this one out and then I may want that new Infinity. I love HQ. Never fussy about thread, easy to learn, and always runs like a dream. We've bought all the machines from Sewing Machines Plus and I just watched the videos and read the manual and off I went getting tops quilted.
    Old 01-31-2015, 05:30 AM
    yel

I have a INNOVA AND LOVE IT .......you should go to a show [i went to paducha] and test drove everyone i could find...took a notebook wrote the pros and cons ...went back test drove the good ones ....checked to see how helpful the staff was ...made a choice and have no regrets
    Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 AM

You do have to test drive , I did had HQ 16 we moved sold it got a A-1 Had it for 4 years sold it not happy.
    Went back to HQ Fusion . Love it . I did go to the shows and look at others.

good luck
    Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 AM

Also, make sure you can get the machine of your choice into the room you want it in. The table for my Gammill is all one piece, over 2 ft. wide and 14 ft. long, steel, and doesn't go around corners. We made a cardboard mock-up prior to purchase. Have fun shopping!