Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts? >

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Where does this mindset even come from. No one is an expert the first time they do anything. Did you love making and giving of your heart to your first quilt? You didn't stop, you keep doing and loving it and that is the whole and simple point of doing anything. Why would anyone be embarrassed by accomplishing some thing, no matter what it is.

Your quilt is terrific.
peace
Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM

I took out a UFO that I completed the top on about 7 years ago. There were 8 sawtooth stars in the quilt. Why I thought it was okay to loose points??? Who knows. I tried to unsew it. But some of those points were loss. I fold it up and threw it back in the UFO pile. On to something else. There are more UFO's to finish where that came from.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 PM

You know he loved it the way it was and will love it the way it has become.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 PM

Your quilt was made with love and nice materials. It only needed to upgrade to make you happier. That is a wonderful quilt. Just so you know that some of us made our first quilt completely wrong, I will tell you about my first ever attempt at quilting. Up until I tried to make my first quilt, I had only done sewing to fit people that were mostly done without patterns, since grandma Helen taught me to make clothes that way. She always bought new fabric when we sewed, so I did not know much about fabric at that time. When I saw my BFF's sister's first quilt, (a powder blue log cabin) that she had made in California at a "Quilt in a Day" class with Eleanor Burns. I thought, how hard could it be? Anything that follows that question should just be avoided in favor of taking a class to do it right. My first quilt was a "scrappy" (doesn't that mean whatever scraps you can find?) made of "found" fabrics, one of which was a former curtain from my BFF's mom's kitchen...I managed to get most of the corners to meet, the colors were playing well together, and I thought "wow, it was easier than I thought". I gave it to oldest DD, because she loved it. Imagine my horror when I washed it the first time, and every square made with the curtain fabric had dissolved! The whole quilt did not survive the first year! My DD has one of the squares that did survive, in her baby book captioned,"What is left of the first quilt mom made me". Anything less than this catastrophe of a quilt is a success. Never use former curtains in a quilt, since the sun will degrade the fabric too much to reuse. Lesson learned.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Your quilt was made with love and nice materials. It only needed to upgrade to make you happier. That is a wonderful quilt. Just so you know that some of us made our first quilt completely wrong, I will tell you about my first ever attempt at quilting. Up until I tried to make my first quilt, I had only done sewing to fit people that were mostly done without patterns, since grandma Helen taught me to make clothes that way. She always bought new fabric when we sewed, so I did not know much about fabric at that time. When I saw my BFF's sister's first quilt, (a powder blue log cabin) that she had made in California at a "Quilt in a Day" class with Eleanor Burns. I thought, how hard could it be? Anything that follows that question should just be avoided in favor of taking a class to do it right. My first quilt was a "scrappy" (doesn't that mean whatever scraps you can find?) made of "found" fabrics, one of which was a former curtain from my BFF's mom's kitchen...I managed to get most of the corners to meet, the colors were playing well together, and I thought "wow, it was easier than I thought". I gave it to oldest DD, because she loved it. Imagine my horror when I washed it the first time, and every square made with the curtain fabric had dissolved! The whole quilt did not survive the first year! My DD has one of the squares that did survive, in her baby book captioned,"What is left of the first quilt mom made me". Anything less than this catastrophe of a quilt is a success. Never use former curtains in a quilt, since the sun will degrade the fabric too much to reuse. Lesson learned.
I have made similar but different mistake with fabric too. In my case it was a dark red upholstery fabric to create a church which naturally bled into the white surrounding fabric when I laundered it, while my efforts to get rid of the bleed made a bad situ worse! My hair was on end cutting this large centrepiece out of the finished quilt to insert another church made from regular cotton. That was quite a heart in the mouth lesson since I'd used rather expensive wool fabric in the quilt too and I envisaged the whole thing being cut up for dusters! While a few members on the forum suggested they wouldn't attempt such a thing, I didn't feel I had a choice. The quilt was sent to a young couple in Australia - she was quite nonplussed when it arrived because of course I'd sent them pics of a completed quilt resplendent with a large red church. I never let on! Lol! I'm sure in the fullness of time you will have chuckled to yourself over your disintegrated quilt. I laughed when I saw Lucas' quilt with its higgildy, piggildy, lumpy, haphazard back when the fact was at the time I had ample fleece to make it whole and pristine. But yes he loves it as much as I loved making it for him first, and, second time around.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 AM

It looks great.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:41 PM

My first projects make me laugh, but I'm not embarrassed. I had to start somewhere...and those quilts are so well-loved.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 PM

Shoot yes. I have sewn since I was 9 and always prided myself in my clothing looking as good or better than store bought. My first quilt was nowhere near this quality that I pride myself on. Points did not match. I used very cheap batting from Walmart. The back was a flannel blanket like you find in hospitals that my DS found at a yard sale. It was tied and after washing, there was no way you could say it payed flat. But, this is my husbands favorite quilt Go figure🤔
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 AM

My first quilt block was awful. I didn't realize that following the side of my pressure foot was not a "scant quarter inch seam". Since it was made from a precut kit and included hst's the pieces did not fit together correctly. I have the square hanging on my wall in my sewing room and often compare it to my much improved (but still not perfect) blocks for encouragement.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:59 AM

I'm not ashamed of my first quilt at all, but rather amazed how I was able to make all those wonky squares come together at all. When I look at my early quilts and compare them 30 years later, it shows me how far I've progressed as a quilter.
I learned to sew with the sewing machine at 9 and by 12 I made my clothes and some for my younger sister. However I didn't make my first quilt until 30.