Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Mom Was Here >

Wish Mom Was Here

Wish Mom Was Here

Old 06-14-2016, 02:37 AM

My "stash" is safely living at the quilt shop. I don't have a stash except for a few faves. I am project specific vs storing stash fabrics that tie up $$, real estate , and may not be what I like in the future. WELCOME!!

Sandy
Old 06-14-2016, 03:08 AM

Welcome to quilting and I hope it brings you great joy. My suggestion to you is to start with Missouri Star Quilt Company-any day. Buy one of their daily specials and go to the tutorial that is suggested for that type of pre-cut and do that one. There is so much information available that is web accessible. After you do the top (not too large to start with) you will be able to find lots of steps forward to complete the quilt. Continue to enjoy your Mom's quilt-those you make will be a tribute to her.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 AM

Hello, Dan Thornton! I have an uncle by that name, but I'm sure you're not him!

I was also thinking you should read here about pre-washing vs. not pre-washing your fabric. For precuts, generally it's not advisable because the smaller the piece, the more distortion you'll get with washing. It's a hotly debated topic about whether to prewash yardage, but I'll let you search here and make your own conclusions. Precuts are more expensive, , and if you goof with a cut, you don't have much for backup.

Good quality quilter's cotton feels so much nicer than cheap cotton. If you take a light color cheaper fabric and hold it up to the light, you can almost see through it. Plus it kind of feels scratchy and thin. By contrast, quilter's cotton feels smooth and you can't see your hand through a light colored piece.

My favorite feeling brand is Northcott, but I also love RJR, Timeless Treasures, Benartex, Moda, and Cotton & Steel, to name a few. They tend to cost more. If you're just starting out, which you are, I'd recommend Connecting Threads online. Good quality, certainly will hold up, but lower cost. You can experiment, mess up, etc, without breaking the bank.

You might consider taking a beginner quilting class locally. Unlike online, you can ask your teacher right away to explain a step or a reason, get instant responses, and see really up close what's what.

Do make sure you get contrasting fabrics. You want light , medium, and dark to make a quilt sing.
Do practice getting your 1/4" seam consistent. Do be careful using a rotary cutter! The pressure you use on cotton will not require nearly the muscle that cutting leather! I'd say use a Klutz glove, but I'd be a hypocrite! Haha

That is (way more than ) my two cents' worth of advice. Happy quilting. Be warned: this hobby quickly turns to obsession!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 AM

I'll add 2 more shops to the mix...1000s of Bolts and Whittle Fabrics. The former has high shipping, but figure it adds 50-75 cents a yard to the price and it's still a good deal.

I also recommend buying a kit at Craftsy, if you don't know where to start. Some are 50% off and really a good deal. If I were you, might start with a table runner or something just to get your feet wet before moving on to other things. Or just find something you like, as long as it's relatively easy, and jump right in.

The major fabric brands all sell good quilters cottons. Benartex, P&B, Marcus, Northcott, Robert Kaufmaan are a few of the many excellent brands.

Last edited by TeresaA; 06-14-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 AM

Howdy, howdy & welcome to this board from Texas! I 'amen' all that's been said about this board. You'll soon find you can ask questions, view pics/etc, post pics, etc. It's wonderful. Sooo helpful. I'd recommend your first project be a "rag quilt" (any size square but say 6.5" or larger would take fewer blocks & be sure to use 1/2" seams..
Good luck. I won't take long to find yourself with not 1 stash but many.....
Old 06-14-2016, 03:48 AM

Go to the quilt store near you and browse around. Look at patterns and find one that interest you. Try to support your local quilt store. I personally don't want to lose these stores. Sometimes they offer classes in beginning quilting. It is fun to talk to the people in the stores. My experience has been that most owner/workers in the quilt stores love to help. They helped me when I was a beginner and I still need their help with putting colors together. On line is a great way to learn and get fabric but in person is better.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:48 AM

You don't really need a stash for your first quilt. Get on Missouri Star Quilt Co. website and watch her videos. Choose one and order the fabric from them. They ship fast. There you will have the instruction you need and the right amount of fabric too, all in one place. Try to buy a decent machine, not a cheapie, and probably not the top of the line, but I think you would like a needle threader and a thread cutter on it. You will need some good thread, a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and good sewing scissors and you will be all set. Make sure your machine will sew a quarter inch seam allowance, or purchase a quarter inch quilter's foot for it. Good luck. Let us know if we can help.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:49 AM

Waving hello from Maryland. It sounds like you're off to a good start! How often I wish my grandmother or great aunt were here to talk quilting with!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 AM

You might check out the quilt kits on Craftsy.com. They come in a variety of price ranges and sizes. I have been very happy with them.

For thread, I really like 50 wt. Aurifil and Superior Masterpiece. I use them for piecing and quilting.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 AM

What a wonderful ambition--to learn to quilt! I am on the downside of that now, but it was a wonderful, all-consuming hobby for about 30 years. Good luck in your endeavor. And, be sure to post your pictures.