Flu near you? :(

Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

yup, it's all over the place down here in florida, and my dh's lymph glands under his chin
are the size of jumbo eggs and long.
I'm not as sick as him and he goes back in the morning. I go to an appt. tomorrow afternoon.
DD had it weeks ago and still coughing.
Sad thing is, my youngest dd is having a surgery tomorrow and none of us can be there.
Her dh will be sitting by himself.
This IS some nasty stuff. DH has already had a round of three meds and used his nebulizer
four times a day. Y'all be careful and wash, wash, wash your hands.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

For anyone that thinks that getting a flu shot is going to give you the flu, I had a talk a few years
back with my doctor.
She said it's impossible for the shot to give it to you, bc it contains a dead virus that causes your
body to make antibodies to protect you.
You have a two week incubation period after getting the shot, where you have to keep yourself
from being exposed.
Some have been exposed before getting the shot but didn't know they were already sick inside.
Then they get the shot and think the shot gave it to them.
We get our shot every year.
This stuff out there is a different strain from what we were inoculated for.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:00 PM

it's in our area, but feeling blessed that no actual flu has hit us. We all get our flu shots yearly and hope that that year's flu is good. What I've seen a lot of around here is about a 2-3 day stomach flu that seems to really wipe out the person that has it--can't keep anything in and fever. And the bug that we've been dealing with is a monster cold--sneezing, headache, congestion, sore throat. DH & I both had it after first of year--he's recovered and I'm going into week 3 with it--now my ear is hurting so have an appt tomorrow with doc. Stay healthy all!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 PM

A school system 12 miles north is closed. Very few students showed up for school Monday. I have not had a flu shot, but am not anticipating getting the flu.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:44 AM

a couple of years ago my husband got the flu because his shot didn't work. The state of Iowa keeps track of that. I have had 3 weeks of the cough thing, no fever, but sore throat. Cough pills don't work, cough syrup with codine doesn't work but got some re leaf with Mucinex . I have felt like crap. Just glad I didn't get the flu because I am diabetic and my husband had a heart attack when he was 49 9 years ago, he is skinny. I am so tired from coughing all the time. Our church doesn't shake hands in the winter when there is a lot of sickness.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
it's in our area, but feeling blessed that no actual flu has hit us. We all get our flu shots yearly and hope that that year's flu is good. What I've seen a lot of around here is about a 2-3 day stomach flu that seems to really wipe out the person that has it--can't keep anything in and fever. And the bug that we've been dealing with is a monster cold--sneezing, headache, congestion, sore throat. DH & I both had it after first of year--he's recovered and I'm going into week 3 with it--now my ear is hurting so have an appt tomorrow with doc. Stay healthy all!
Mucinex is excellent for ear pain until you can get to an appt. I do my best to keep some at all times. I can't take the DM, (dextromethorphan) one at all. Read the box. Generic, (guaifenesin), is same thing + cheaper.

Last edited by Mousie; 01-30-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM

I don't know if our church could go without shaking hands. I was the greeter last week - after I was finished the head usher, who happens to be a doctor, came to me with hand sanitizer. I said I don't use that. His response, "Today you do."
Old 01-30-2018, 09:21 AM

I don’t get the flu jab anymore, each time I got it I ended up seriously ill and my doc confirmed that there is a small percentage of people, unfortunately I’m one, that it does not agree with and makes them sick. We have all had terrible colds and coughs which seem to last for weeks. Fortunately no flue, touch wood.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:24 AM

I am not able to have the flu shot, allergic reaction years ago. Had the flu last year and was in the hospital for 5 days. Did not care if I lived or died. Have been thinking about wearing a mask if I go out. Surprised more are not doing that. Only two people on this board mentioned wearing a mask. Had a routine check up two weeks ago. Was going to cancel, but needed to check on blood sugar, ect. So as soon as I walked in the clinic I put on a mask. and was there most of the morning and saw only two masks. Not good!!! People that should be wearing a mask are not so it is up to the rest of us to do so!!!! JMHO
Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
A school system 12 miles north is closed. Very few students showed up for school Monday. I have not had a flu shot, but am not anticipating getting the flu.
back in the 50’s, School was closed because many had measles