Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone purchased a bicycle lately? >
  • Anyone purchased a bicycle lately?

• Anyone purchased a bicycle lately?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    I read your old thread. I found that bike on Amazon for a much better price than the two Schwinns. On your recommendation, I may be ordering. My SIL stopped in and cut the cable off my old bike, so tomorrow I can put air in and see if I am correct - that I can now ride a bike. Loving the fact that I no longer have vertigo from neurothapy.
    Old 05-14-2018, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    I read your old thread. I found that bike on Amazon for a much better price than the two Schwinns. On your recommendation, I may be ordering. My SIL stopped in and cut the cable off my old bike, so tomorrow I can put air in and see if I am correct - that I can now ride a bike. Loving the fact that I no longer have vertigo from neurothapy.

Will it fit you? Height etc. they come is sizes. Just saying.

Sandy
    Old 05-14-2018, 06:10 AM

moonrise, sorry for the credit to the wrong person.

Sandygirl, I hear you about biking and the wind. It can really drain you in a hurry. Glad your neck is better.

Besides my recumbents, the first "CrankForward" bike I rode was a RANS from here in Kansas.

This is a short wheelbase RANS recumbent. It certainly trains you to use mirrors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594423[/ATTACH]

Irishrose2, Big box store bikes can last a long time if they are treated kindly and one pays attention to maintenance.
    Keep your ears open for rattles. There are a lot of bike co-ops around to help you learn how to keep your bike up.
    Or buy the house across the brick street from me and I can help you.
    Attached Thumbnails blue-rans-recumbent-b.jpg  
    Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Leon, I have my heart set on the step down Geometry frame and the Raleigh is the best priced one I can find.

Sandy, I am debating between the XS and the S. Charts say S for my current height and my legs are long so I probably need to go in that direction. I've shrunk from 5'8" to 5'4 1/2". I hope it has stopped or I'll need a child's size.

I blew up the tires on the old Free Spirit today and rode 3/4 mile. Afraid to go further with the tires in bad shape. It was far enough to tell me what I want to know. That I can overcome my fear of falling after 9 years with neurothapy and can ride a bike.
    Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Congrats on your ride. What an accomplishment after all the years and challenges. If you can go 3/4 of a mile, you can go a bunch farther. Good idea not to trust old tires/tubes though.

Glad you are looking at Raleighs. They have a long tradition of being good bikes.
    Old 05-14-2018, 02:17 PM

I have a folding bike that is low to the ground and easy to operate, it is in the garage with flat tires.
    Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 PM

Leon, I went to dinner with two daughters this evening. They are not in favor of ordering online, but if you live in a small town in Northern Michigan, there aren't a lot of choices. Raleigh advertises as shipping 90% assembled. Grr.
    Old 05-15-2018, 02:09 AM

IrishRose I am 5’2”. I was fitted for a size S. The measurement is for inseam length.

There has to be shops in N.MI. Bike riders are everywhere.

Leon...I love your photos !

Sandy
    Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 AM

Irishrose 2. 90 % probably means you will have to connect the handlebars. ( brakes and shifters will be pre attached). Pedals will need to be installed (left pedal is left hand thread) Front wheel will need to be put in place ( two nuts or maybe a quick release.)
    Tires will need inflating after you get the wheels in place. Anyway, for someone who has been wrenching all his life, it's not a big deal.

Thanks Sandy.

Getting back to sewing. GF and I at a Tweed ride in Kansas City. She made her clothes, my vest, modified the pants and scrounged up a jacket when I left mine at home. She is working on knitting me argyle socks but is ripping more than she is knitting. 6 colors and it demands full attention.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594482[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails i-l-tweed-ride-tight-b.jpg  
    Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594483[/ATTACH]

Tweed rides are fun. Oldest bikes are greatly appreciated. This was our ride marshal . She had a pennyfarthing tattoo on her calf. Elegence over exertion, style over speed. Casual rides through parks and pretty neigborhoods. stops for photography. Picnics on the grass with wicker baskets. full family events. mustaches contests for men and women.

After the ride she had a lot of help getting on the saddle of my pennyfarthing. It was way to tall for her.
    Attached Thumbnails tweed-marshall-b.jpg