Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I am so sorry that she hurt your feelings (((HUGS)))

I was thinking the other day how it USED to be that you could sew clothing and other items much cheaper than the same store bought items... I think that same train of thought is embedded into many people's brains.... They probably never go to any fabric store, so they are totally clueless what fabric, batting, patterns and notions cost.
These same people have probably never felt the joy of sitting and making a handmade item for another...the thought, expense and time that goes into it... I love thinking about the recipient during the whole process of making their gift, as I am sure the rest of you do, too :D:D:D

If I would have to send along a list of what it cost to make a quilt for a gift (as well as how much time I spent on it) as proof that it IS a "real" gift to the recipient... that person will never receive one of my quilts.... they will get a $20 clearance comforter :wink:
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
when finished, just mention to her that quilts can sell for $400 and up!!
my DIL doesn't want anymore "blankies", so i don't make my granddtrs anymore. sigh.
That doesn't mean you can make them wall hangings, toy or tote bags, backpacks, jackets, etc. etc. There's lots you can do quilting - doesn't have to just be "blankies" (hint) (hint)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
A lot of people feel that minimizing others somehow elevates themselves. Sadly, your SIL appears to be one of those. So sorry you experienced her like that.
This is the way I feel, too. There is a member of our family who is the same. I will never make anything special for her.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry a family member would say something like that to you. Now you won't be able to look at her without remembering how crude she is. Family functions will be less enjoyable.

I have been lucky so far and everyone I have given a quilt to has really appreciated them and thought them beautiful.

Some women seem to feel the need to cut another woman down if she can do something the 'cutter' can't do. I call it jealousy
Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
She should be upsided on the back of the head!!! That's plain rude. Maybe you should get her to make her own!! Bring her on over and even gift her some material and let her have a go at it!!! Just do something small like a wallhanging!!! Start explaining how to do HST's and why you just can't cut a sq. in 1/2 and that you need to add 7/8 to it and so on. Would be a totally eye opening experience for her. :-D
I'm sorry that you have such a clueless SIL. They frequently are. But I think that Sewcrafty is right. Invite her over and teach her how to do a small project....although I wouldn't have the fabric ready, I'd take her shopping with my color wheel, so that she would get the experience from beginning to end. However, at the same time you know how much love, creativity, time and effort go into a gift like this. Know that what you are giving is a gift of the heart and it is precious simply for that reason. Clueless SILs aside.
Sadly, I think that this "lesson" would go unheeded. My mother in law is into miniatures. She is constantly buying them and trying to give them to me. She also makes them with her group and gifts them to me. I have miniatures everywhere. I constantly tell her how clever I think she is and how amazing her little treasures are...and I truely mean it! These ladies can take things I consider trash and make a little piece of furniture or other miniature item and it's perfect! However, I don't want them...miniatures are not my thing. Now, when I talk to her about quilting, you can literally see her shut down. She has told me in NO uncertain terms that she is not interested in quilting, she has no desire to look at them, learn about them or have anything to do with them (which I found rather hurtful).
Unless your sister in law is interested in quilting, the labor of finding fabric, choosing a pattern and making a quilt will be nothing but a chore and a job to her. She'll have no idea the pleasure that we get from creating these fabric masterpieces. Unfortunately, I think you are just going to have to chalk it up to her not relating to your passion and move on. It's kind of like cat people relating to dog people...they just don't get it. Try not to judge her... :)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I would consider it a slap in the face too.

My sister has made a few quilts for her daughter and grand-daughter. Once her daughter opened a gift and said "oh another quilt". My sister vowed at that moment she would make no more quilts for her daughter.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

I am so sorry she said that to you I am sure you felt like she stabed you in the heart. I also crochet and when my grandma was alive she made every grandchild a crocket bedspread. I decided to carry on the tradition. When my cousin was engaged I was in the middle of making her a crochet bedspread as her wedding gift, now let me say yarns is expensive too. My sister saw it and said WHY would you give her something that CHEAP??????? I just about cried. I replied if I made minimum wage for time I put into it, it would have cost me about 100 times more then what you are giving her as a gift. When I gave it to may cousin she cried, she knew I was carring on granny's tradition.
Try not to let clueless people bother you, I know that is easier said then done.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM

I would much rather have a homemade gift any day!!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

I wouldnt be silent!! Open your mouth and tell her to mind her business. She is clueless!! I am not one to keeps silent if someone is nasty to me.

This is just like people who go to restaurants and dont tip well! Once you work as a waitress you realize how hard that job is. Just as quilting is a hard job, its expensive and alot of work!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:58 PM

I am very lucky, anyone that I have ever given a quilt to (or anything else hand made) has always been thrilled. But, there are people that I will not give one to becuase I know they would not appreciate it. I don't take garbage, either. I'm afraid it would be the last time she had a chance to say such a thing to me because she would not be back in my home.