Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Originally Posted by Honey
I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually? Also, what is the best size hexigon to use for this. I would like to have at least 12" blocks when I am done. It is going to be a queen sized quilt when I am finished (maybe 10 years from now :oops: ) Seriously, I do want to get it done this winter. That is why I am starting the prep work now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks so much :thumbup: Sorry admin, this should have been in main, but don't know how to move it.
The GFG that I got uncompleted form my grandma, the pieces of fabric for the hexies were cut in a circle. You’d still have to trace, but you could probably cut through 4 or 5 layers of fabric at a time and a circle would be quicker to cut then the hexie shape. Just make yourself a circle template by finding a glass that is bigger than your hexie template, you don’t want it too big as you don’t want a ton of bulk in the back, but not too small either so you have enough fabric to fold over. Here is some pics that shows the circles and kind of how they are folded over the hexie template:

[img] http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/...a60537c104.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/...38d404bcd1.jpg[/img]

Cheers!
Rachel
great idea
Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM

I have a GFG in progress now. I print the hexagons on copy paper from the website incompetech.com. You can choose the size you want to use (mine are 1.25) I then cut my fabric into squares ( 3 x 3 for the 1.25 hex size ) I use a paper punch to make a hole in the center of each hex. Then I use an Elmer's glue stick and glue a hex to the wrong side of the fabric square. I do trim the fabric to 1/4" around the hex. Then instead of thread basting, I use regular (liquid) Elmer's glue to baste. I press 1/4" seam allowance down around the paper hex using my mini iron, then I use a toothpick to place one little dot of glue on the fabric at the corners where the fabric overlaps. I don't glue the fabric to the paper in this step. The glue dries quickly because the fabric is warm from pressing or hit it again with the iron and it will dry instantly. I can make a bunch of hex's using this glue method --- the quilt police may not approve ---- too bad! I only use Elmer's glue because I know for sure it will wash out. After the hex's are sewn, I stick a toothpick in the hole in the paper, swivel it around and the paper pops right out. I hope you can adopt all or part of my method to make your project enjoyable. This is my first English Paper Pieced quilt and I love it so far and plan to make many more.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 PM

I too am making a GMFG all the flowers (except six) are yellow with brown centers (the six are white with yellow centers) and tan pebble looking pathways. I cut my print my hexagons on cartstock printer paper, then cut them with an xacto knife and punch a whole in the middle. I then glue the paper hex to a 2 inch square of fabric and thread baste. Then I sew two hexagons together and I make a bunch of two hex sections, then I sew three of those together to make a six hex flower(but I don't connect the first and last hex together so it does not close it all the way until I add the center). Once I get all the flowers done I will start on the centers. and then I will do the pathways. I am using the paperpieces.com template sheet and method but cutting my own hex papers.

My hexs are 3/4 inch and they are single ring flowers! Finished quilt will be super large lap. AS SOOON as this one is finished I am starting a larger one done in 1930 repros.

oops forgot to add links.
http://paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d30.html
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/ hexagon size = the measurment of ONE side!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by CRH
Originally Posted by roselady
I have one (gmfg) in the process, though I haven't worked on it in quite awhile. I use the paper pieces that are precut. For the fabric, I found an ink pad and a stamp of the right size hexagon. They still need to be cut with scissors. I set the paper on the back of the fabric hex and glue (with fabric safe glue stick) the seam allowance to the paper. I sewed mine together in rows rather than flowers or blocks.
Does the glue and paper come out easily when you are done??
Yes, the paper come off very easily, and I reuse the paper pieces over and over again. I think I sew them together the traditional english way, right sides together and whip stitch from edge to edge. I love all hand sewing, applique, quilting, embroidery, but english paper piecing is the best when you might not be in a position to watch every stitch you are taking. You get in a rhythm and it is amazing how fast you can sew this way. Using the heavier card stock type paper is good because it makes it hard for your needle to pierce that deep, so your stitches stay on the edge where they should.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Hi,I have made my own templates from an acrylic hexagon. I started saving the lightweight cardstock inserts (reply postcards) in magazines and sometimes the Sunday paper inserts. The shiny inserts are too heavy I won't use them. Place the template on top of the cardstock--pick up both holding it firmly so that it doesn't slip- carefully cut along the sides of the template .A medium size scissor is the best size to use. Not the embroidery ones- the next size . I use a paper punch to make a hole in the middle of the paper hex so that it will be easy to remove after you have sewn the fabric onto the template. I have made them1.5" to 3". Stack several of them to see if they are the same. If you see that they aren't , you have to make sure that when you are cutting the card stock you are getting as close to the bottom edge of the template as possible.. I will take some photos tomorrow to show you how I do it. I made a over a thousand of them watching tv. I made alot of confetti doing it. You can start collecting the cards now. If you pm me your address I can send you some so you can get started. The great thing about this way is that it doesn't cost you anything ! Anne
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 AM

http://www.laurassewingstudio.com/Em...GMFG/gmfg.html

This site has a lot of layout possabilities if anyone is interested. Scrool down to the bottom.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MsMel
I am currently working on one now. I purchased the hexagons on ebay in bags of 500 for cheap. I use double sided scotch tape to place them on the 2.5 inch squares and then can pull them out to reuse them over and over again once my flower is sewn together. I cut my fabric in 2.5 inch strips and then into the 2.5 inch squares and have the fabrics in ziploc bags by color in my sewing basket. Hope that helps, I am hooked it is my portable project :D
You did the same thing I did. I bought my first hexes on line and have cut some since then. The 2.5 inch squares work great and are easy to cut. Mine is still a work in progress but it will be done someday. I take it camping and have something to work on there.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 AM

I have saved this topic in bookmarks... Many good suggestions and I would love to attempt this as well!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
http://www.laurassewingstudio.com/Em...GMFG/gmfg.html

This site has a lot of layout possabilities if anyone is interested. Scrool down to the bottom.
I don't understand what her product is. Is it an embroidery design that looks like the GMFG? I couldn't find an explanation for it. Loved some of her layouts.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM

I have to agree with Namjan62 - I was confused at to what her product actually was???