Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much can you NOT spend? >

How much can you NOT spend?

How much can you NOT spend?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree, part of the fun of quilting is getting the best buys, finds and deals :D:D:D
Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
The quilt in my avatar was made completely from my stash. I did buy a variegated thread to quilt it with, so the total was less than $5! :D
I try not to spend too much on any project, but this post has encouraged me to keep better track of what I'm spending. All the "little" things can really add up! I may start keeping a notebook with my projects, and keep a running tally of anything I spend on it, even if it's 50 cents!

I think that sounds like fun! It would be interesting to see how much I am spending on a project. Will you start with on a go forward basis or try to account for what you are using from your stash that you've already spent? I might have to try this with you! Mine for the most part would be easier on a go forward basis.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Love your quilt. it is so much in keeping with the quilts of yesteryear where you use up your scraps of material from old shirts , dresses etc. Love how you worked in the white lines of small squares.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 AM

My friend seems to pick up alot of fabric at yard sales. With so many people on a budget there is alot good cotton quilting fabric at bargain prices at yard sales. :thumbup:
Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 AM

When I was working and making pretty good money, it was nothing for me to go to a LQS or Jo-Anns, Hancocks and drop $100. When hours got cut, the first thing in the budget to get cut was groceries, I needed to lose a lil weight anyways, but started to hit more yard sales and hit the thrift shops more. Now Im not working, and found that I can make at least (at least) 10-12 quilt tops with what I have on hand. when people use to ask me what I was doing with all that fabric, I replied that it was my retirement savings, so I had something to do.So I guess I have been dipping into my retirement savings (lol). I never realized I had over 350 spools of thread, a spool here, one in the teapot, some in the sock drawer.... So I have made 3 quilt tops this spring with out buying, using whats on hand. Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it! $20, you did an awesome job!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
When I was working and making pretty good money, it was nothing for me to go to a LQS or Jo-Anns, Hancocks and drop $100. When hours got cut, the first thing in the budget to get cut was groceries, I needed to lose a lil weight anyways, but started to hit more yard sales and hit the thrift shops more. Now Im not working, and found that I can make at least (at least) 10-12 quilt tops with what I have on hand. when people use to ask me what I was doing with all that fabric, I replied that it was my retirement savings, so I had something to do.So I guess I have been dipping into my retirement savings (lol). I never realized I had over 350 spools of thread, a spool here, one in the teapot, some in the sock drawer.... So I have made 3 quilt tops this spring with out buying, using whats on hand. Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it! $20, you did an awesome job!
Thanks! I'll try and post a picture when I get it done. I may have to visit LQS to get some more thread for quilting. But then again, it is a scrap quilt so I might try to get around that too!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 AM

You could cut your price down some by piecing your backing. On my scrap quilts the batting usually all I have to buy.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 AM

i went to good will last week and found a bolt of cotton calico for 9.98 it's probably 15 yards of material. still had plastic around on it, like it comes from warehouse. it's a peachy w/blue and white flowers , green leaves. i was thrilled!!!
when i worked i bought alot of the quilt of the month from wal-mart so i got enough to last a long time. just have to buy batting.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

$20.00!!!!!!! You did great. Much better than me.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
The quilt in my avatar was made completely from my stash. I did buy a variegated thread to quilt it with, so the total was less than $5! :D
I try not to spend too much on any project, but this post has encouraged me to keep better track of what I'm spending. All the "little" things can really add up! I may start keeping a notebook with my projects, and keep a running tally of anything I spend on it, even if it's 50 cents!
i've done that since i started sewing when i was 9-10. my grammy always did it, mostly to prove to grampa that it was less money to make what she wanted than to buy it ready made... of course, she only compared to high end department stores, but it was a plan

it is funny to look back into those old notebooks and see all the stuff i've made in the last 40 yrs, and seeing the way prices have changed..!