Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Best Long Arm to Buy >

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

With the Gammill you can also upgrade to a newer one or have it retrofitted with the Statler anytime you want to go to the next step. The service has been excellant. The company came out and set it up and I have had 3 separate training sessions with the local sales rep and she always tells me if I have any questions to call at any time. I was having a little problem with my thread tension on the bottom of the quilt so I sent an email and both the sales rep and the distributor called me right away the next morning. It was a simple little adjustment the distributor had me do. Please the distributor has called me 3 or 4 times just to check and see if I have any questions or concerns. I have the Optimum Plus with the 30" throat and the 12' table on hydraulics with the light bar. If different height people are going to be using your machine you might want to think about the hydraulics.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by candlequilter
With the Gammill you can also upgrade to a newer one or have it retrofitted with the Statler anytime you want to go to the next step. The service has been excellant. The company came out and set it up and I have had 3 separate training sessions with the local sales rep and she always tells me if I have any questions to call at any time. I was having a little problem with my thread tension on the bottom of the quilt so I sent an email and both the sales rep and the distributor called me right away the next morning. It was a simple little adjustment the distributor had me do. Please the distributor has called me 3 or 4 times just to check and see if I have any questions or concerns. I have the Optimum Plus with the 30" throat and the 12' table on hydraulics with the light bar. If different height people are going to be using your machine you might want to think about the hydraulics.
My wife is 5'7 and I am 5'9 so we are close enough to the same height to where it can be left at the same level.

Billy
Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

The deeper throat would be good for you then. I am only 5'0" so the 30 inch was a stretch, but I wanted it so that when I do get a Statler I will have more area to quilt.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Well I am going to see if I can physically look a these machines and play with them and some time after I get back from my trip around the country on my new chopper I will go and pick it up.

I plan on selling my bike after I get back so thats why I am not worried about the cost of it. I will use some of the money from the sale of the bike to buy it. Its only fair, I was able to enjoy my bike riding it on a month long trip around the country so my wife needs to have a LA that she can enjoy!!

Billy
Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 AM

I have had my Tin Lizzie since October and am very happy. I looked for a long time before deciding to buy the 18LS. I have it set up at 10' length. One of the deciding factors was the fact that Tin Lizzie makes some of the other models on long arms, so I figured that it was best to buy from the manufacturer. Cost was an issue for me. I couldn't spend the money for a Gammill SS, and the Tin Lizzie has all the features that I needed, the stitch regulator is great. One day I may add on a computer module but for now, we are a good pair.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 PM

I kinda like the Nolting, made in the U.S.A, but I am so far from buying one, (still newbie) that it don't matter :roll:
Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 AM

The A1's are an awesome machine too. I am disabled and determined the HQ fit my own needs best, so that's what I personally bought. Plus, I'd never have a 3 pole frame, only a 4-pole. Weight was a huge criteria, as was the mtc. schedule. I went to purchase a Millie, but it was too heavy.

I would check out the mtc. schedules. Some are mtc. heavy and it takes a lot of time - also some brands drip oil! And some require you to purchase Edgerider wheels as their own wheels aren't that great. Talk to users about these aspects, because company's generally don't admit them :) The truth is they're all good machines. But, I do understand there are major differences in the computers. IQ is one whereby I've read a lot of folks are selling the other brands and buying it for some reason. They say there are many advantages to it, so it might be something to look into.

Go to Houston this year and test drive them all, one after the other. That will give you the best comparison. In addition, if you're ready to buy then, the show prices can't be beat :)
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 AM

be sure to check out the Innova-great machine-great price and great service
Old 08-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Billy were you aware there are vintage long arms? I was in a small quilt shop recently and they had vintage ones. No stitch regulator and all mechanical. Haven't read the whole thread yet so apologies if this has been mentioned.

PS I just got the Innova and love, love, love it. Reasonably priced for industrial quality.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
If I could stretch my Juki, I would. An all metal, straight mechanical machine. I love it.

I have been trying them out at quilt shows and such. I like the Nolting. I think because of it's similarity to my Juki and my old machines. Less to muck up.

I think you could put a computer on it but not sure of the interface, because I don't think they are computerized machines. (I like to do it myself, so am not interested in Q-bot stuff).
You can have your Juki stretched. Contact http://www.wowquilts.com They stretch Juki, Brother, Babylock and Janome 9" straight stitch only type machines.