Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Sew sorry that you did not get what you wanted from the class. I took my first quilting class at a Lee Ward's, so you know how long ago that was! Then I joined a guild and took more classes at my LQS and through the guild. When I don't feel the class met my expectation, I speak up. At least I get my questions answered!
Don't give up, try other classes. Lots of good suggestions have been given here.

BTW, where in Missouri are you?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 PM

I would suggest that you start taking classes at your LQS. It may cost you a little more but you will have a dedicated instructor. Please send pic of your project and maybe we can help you .
Evelyn 1
Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 PM

This is the type of situation that caused me to decide if I can read it, I can do it. Of course pictures are always a big help. A magnifying glass is another helper.
The very best help is the talented and generous people on this board.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM

I pay $15 to $35 / class. My LQS is the BOMB ... awesome group and wonderful folks.

The $15 class was machine embordiery ... and was one class. The "beginner's" ($35 was the price) class I took was scheduled for 3 nights, but the owner (who taught the class) stated that she would take whatever time it took ... ended up being 4 nights (2.5 hours / night). It was a period of 3 weeks (one class per week, one week had 2 classes) (So I got 4 nights of instruction for the price of $35. This included quilting history, different notions/tools etc ... and different kinds of material ... difference between Straight of grain, cross grain, bias, etc ... I can't tell you everything we covered. We were taught the proper way to use rulers ... the rotary tools ... and shown how to cut the material.

I paid $35 for a machine quilting class that went from 10 am to 4 pm.

The classes are great... they show you quite a bit, teach you from start to finish ... just a great group.

If I was you, I'd try to find a quilt guild or a LQS ... you will have better luck!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
There are such experienced and knowledgeable quilters here who are more than willing to share. If you want to know how to do something, just the question and you will get several responses.....don't be afraid to ask. We are a very sharing group here.
I have to agree with Deb. I have learned soooo much from this board. Also, just reading the posts you pick up little tips that you remember when you go back to the machine and make quilting easier and more enjoyable. If they won't give you any money back, ask as many questions as you can that you think should have been covered in the class. Maybe you can at least get your money's worth that way!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Thank you for posting this, I have considered taking some classes, at the bigger stores, but was unsure. I just assumed that the teacher would know her subject. THANKS! for the eye opener. If I do decide to do one, I will ask lots of ?????????? and what their policy is on a refund. Sorry that you had the experience though.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:39 PM

i have to say thati've learned more & gotten more help on this board[bless you billy !!]than i ever have,made at least one GREAT friend,& now have a new habit that i wake at 3[?]in the am & start my day! i KNOW i spend more time on this board than i do at the sewing machine ! love you all tho,dar
Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM

That was terrible! Yes, ask for your money back. Then, how can we on this board help you?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Don't give up. They are not all that way. I would buy one of the beginning DVD's before I went to another like that. I took one class where the lady was so impressed with herself she spent all her time telling us she had a PHD in something (not quilting). Then I have been to marvelous classes. Some of them are very helpful. You might ask around. Hancock is not known for good classes.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Sorry, it took forever to go through but sure didn't mean to do this. Please remove it you can.