Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 AM

I have had some dissappointing classes too. I enrolled in a 'tole' painting class for beginners. Their were 2 other students and I found out that they were friends and came to every class. The teacher complained about her life for 3 hours and it was not a beginning class.
Next next was a machine quilting class that was a total waste of money. No help or advise at all to ANY of the students.
I guess it happens to a lot of us.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM

I recently went to an OESD (embroidery) class at my favorite sewing machine store, I think the fee was around $39, it was a trunk show but suppose to be an update on all the latest techniques, threads, notions, etc. Ended up being the same old same old, spent most of my time out of class talking to the people in the store. Even the owner admitted he was very disappointed in the presentation, like me he thought it was going to be an update. I did learn a couple new things so all was not lost.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Too many half assed teachers think it's a great way to make money, have a class at Hancock's and split the profit with the store. Always be wary of quilt classes at Hancock's Fabric sores. Ask to speak with the instructor before signing up.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Too many half assed teachers think it's a great way to make money, have a class at Hancock's and split the profit with the store. Always be wary of quilt classes at Hancock's Fabric sores. Ask to speak with the instructor before signing up.
I taught beginning quilting at Hancock's and my students told the manager how wonderful they were!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM

If you look back MANY of us have been dissappointed with Hancock, product, staff attitude, etc...I would surely ask for my money back, and move right on up the line if I didn't get it....Somebody needs to let them know how crappy they can be..... We have a lovely LQS here, but since I can sew and quilt I have never taken a class.... However, their big push is to sell the fancy Bernina machines.... Like others have said, see if there is a local quilt guild or group.... Also, the library has some good books on the subject... And ask us here!!!! We got's some smarts!!!
Ellen
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Deb...bummer!! That's pretty expensive for one "class"...and I use the term loosely! My LQS charges $20 for a 3 week class (you go once a week). I'd see if there are any classes at your LQS. I agree with everyone else here that you should get your money back (minus supplies, if they provided them). My LQS is a small store and they limit the number of people so everyone has adequate space to work in and they can help you. We've all had expensive lessons to learn along the way so I hope you can get some of your money back. Good luck :) Ask the ladies here anything and they will help you and you'll learn a lot, believe me :)
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 PM

I agree with the others....ask for a refund (partial or full depending on whether supplies were part of the "class"). What a horrible experience for you, especially since it was your first class. :(

I agree that you can learn so much from this site and everyone is more than willing to help.

In the future, if you feel the need for teaching from a human and want to try another class, go to a small local quilt shop that is independently owned. I have not gone to a class due to lack of time and schedules not matching my free time but when I buy material the women have always been wonderful and very friendly.

Best of luck to you but do try to get a refund for the principle if nothing else. That is just WRONG.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by woodchkr
Acouple of weeks ago I joined this quilting board. Many of you welcomed me and I really appreciate the many welcomes that you all gave.

At that time I also mentioned that I was a beginner quilter and was taking a class at my local Hancock store. Well I had my class yesterday and it was very disappointing. We were handed instructions for a table runner project, and told to ask for help if we needed it. Some class.....NOT!!! It was not a quilting class, more of a craft project to pay for something that could have been done on our own.

The caution I give all - ask more questions about content when you see an offer for a beginning quilting class and what you are actually supposed to learn and the content.

I am seriously considering asking for my money back. Oh and by the way - this was a SMALL room, probably 12 x 20 with 6 women, 3 tables, 2 people per table, CROWDED , we were elbow to elbow, tripping over one another and the store owner was also using it as a storage room which there were boxes stacked along 3 of the walls.

Needless to say - it was the pits and I learned nothing!! Uh yeah just wasted $35.00 for nothing on a project I could have probably done at home by following printed instructions.

For the beginners out there such as myself - insure you ask detailed questions about the content of a class so you don't waste your money and time. :(
So sorry for your disapointment. I have been in your shoes and felt lost because I was a beginner and was so wanting to learn to quilt. Nothing worse than to dive in and learn from making mistakes but then that is the way we learn alot of things in life. I am so glad I was persistant in trying to learn to quilt. I started about 4yrs ago and still have alot to learn but have a sense of accomplishment since I have learned quite a bit in this time. We have a weekly sewing group in our town and this last winter I was lucky enough to have one of our group leaders take some time to teach me some important basics. In addition I joined this group and have learned so much from these ladies!! I am so excited about my quilting that I lay awake at night thinking about my work in progress and future quilts I plan to make. Like a memory quilt in memory of my Dad which will be my next project. Don't give up. I think a while back I had seen that in this group they were pairing beginners off with someone experienced to kind of mentor them and help them learn to quilt depending on what they were wanting to learn...hand quilting or machine quilting or paper piecing or just the basics, what ever. Are they still doing that here?? Anyway, if there is anything we can help you with please just holler and I am sure we can try and point you in the right direction. I know there are alot of tips I have picked up here that have made my quilting much more successful.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM

SadieMae,

Thank you for teachers like you.

It seems like the bigger material stores are just trying to make money any way they can and think that occasional "sales" will keep people coming back.

Quilters are wiser than they think and we are also frugal. I do more online shopping now than I ever did. I am also very careful on spending money on fabric. It has to be a good material and a good price. :!:
Old 07-25-2010, 02:37 PM

Hello Woodkhcr, sorry to hear of your bad experience but it happens quite often - I joined sewing class at LQS and spent two weeks teaching others how to use their computers to transfer designs to disk, cards etc and how to organize their files because the teacher was not very computer literate!! In first class I stitched one bird design which was in my new machine, next class we were lectured about feet and needles available in the store and I didn't even turn my machine on. Gave up on those classes, of course - we pay A$65 per proper class on average in Oz.

You learned not to be taken in so easily in the future, so hold your head up and rely on the people here to guide you