Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • has anyone made a quilt for the color blind? >
  • has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

• has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by scoobertina
    I have a friend who I wanted to make a quilt for but he is color blind. He can see yellows.

I don't want to make an all yellow quilt. So I am looking for some ideas. I was hoping someone here has encountered this issue before. I think he can also see blues but I don't remember and I really hesitate to ask. LOL.

Any guidance is valued!
    You should ask, because some people can't distinguish between red and green, and others blues, yellows. I once had a client who saw all reds and greens as beige, and if the color had red or green in its base, then the color was perceived as dull. A person with this limitation would appreciate a frank discussion and even being shown some samples to look at so don't be afraid to ask the question with sensitivity. :-)
    Old 10-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Okay... I LOOOOOVE that quilt! I think that is exactly what I am looking for! thank you!

Originally Posted by RST
    My son has cortical vision impairment, and in his infancy he was actually diagnosed as legally blind. Bright yellows and orange shades were the first things he showed any hint of seeing, so I made him a quilt with high contrast and lots of orange. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of it.

You may need to get more information about what your friend's condition actually is. There are different manifestations of color blindness, and what works for one may not be what others experience.

RST
    Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 PM

I have asked him, he doesn't live near me and it's more a surprise for him than anything. So I can't take him with me. Thank you everyone for the advice.
    Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 PM

I don't think the color is as important as the shades. Just so the pattern stands out. Possibly solid colors in varing shades. Use the yellow as a focal point in the quilt. No matter what the colors, I'm sure he will love it since you are making it just for him.
    Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
    RST

Thanks--
    It's one of my favorite quilts I've made, even though it's not fancy or technically proficient -- just because it was specially made for my son, who we were originally told would not be able to see it at all.

It's just a basic log cabin block, in the star setting, with some piano key strip borders. The back is a very vivid orange and yellow flannel.

I think the graphic nature of the log cabin block, with its light and dark sides, might be well suited to your purposes.

RST

RST
    Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 PM

We have a gentleman who is colorblind and quilts. He can see value, but not colors. So he brings in his design to the LQS and tells the gals what colors he wants, they pull fabrics of that color, and then he chooses by the value that he can see. He makes very wonderful quilts and its amazing how he can tell value and make it all work.
    Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM

There are many, many different kinds of color blindness. I used to think it was only boys, but more and more women have a version of tonal blindness.

A previous poster is correct, if he told you about it, he's not ashamed of it and is willing to talk about it. Don't talk to him about fabric, quiz him on what color he sees when you see a red apple or a yellow banana. Start with basic things. This way, you can have a basic idea of what he can see as far as correctly on the spectrum and what he can see that's different from what someone else would see.

I have major problems distinguishing between pink and orange. Give me a peach, coral, shell, melon any of those and I have no clue what they are. I made a sampler once and picked what I thought was 2 pinks. One was hot pink and one was neon screaming at you for your attention orange. They totally clashed. A dear friend helped me label them as I cut out pieces. I used both of them in the same small sampler quilt. I made sure I didn't use them next to each other. The quilt turned out beautiful. When my beloved grandmother asks me if I have any of that pretty orange left, I always forget and tell her I only put pink in her quilt. It's pretty funny.
    Old 10-02-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by scoobertina
    I have a friend who I wanted to make a quilt for but he is color blind. He can see yellows.

I don't want to make an all yellow quilt. So I am looking for some ideas. I was hoping someone here has encountered this issue before. I think he can also see blues but I don't remember and I really hesitate to ask. LOL.

Any guidance is valued!
    Here's and idea for a blue and yellow quilt. I made this several years ago.

"Downtown" pattern
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]91798[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-91793.jpe  
    Old 10-02-2010, 05:30 PM

If you look thru red cellophane, it cancels out the colors and all you see is the value (light,med,dark). I would think the contrast would be more important than the color in this case.
    Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Some of the color combos mentioned really appeal to me, especially the yellow/black/white. I made a blue and yellow string quilt which turned out very nicely. It was an online block exchange.