Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a quilt for the color blind? >

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

Old 10-02-2010, 02:06 AM

It would not matter what colours you used. If your friend is colour - blind his eyes would adapt the colour to what he compensates for in the spectrum that he perceives. Being colour - blind does not mean that he can't see the colour - it means he perceives it as something else. For example, he could see orange, but when he sees green, he perceives it as a different shade of orange.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 AM

I am color blind and do have problems picking out colors for a quilt---I usually need a little help. I see colors but they arent always the color I think they are :)

lyn
Old 10-02-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
Although colorblind, he can still see shades/ tones.My sil is colorblind, can only see yellow, everything else is a shade of grey, but he is terrific in picking shades, even very slight variations.
going along with this, if it is possible, why not take him with and let him pick out the material?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 AM

my husband is color blind; he helped me pick out a dozen fabrics when I made a star stack and whack; I couldn't decide which colors to use and he came right up and pointed to about 8 fabrics that went perfect with what I had already agonized over and selected so carefully; took him all of 5 minutes!! And the quilt is gorgeous.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 AM
RST

My son has cortical vision impairment, and in his infancy he was actually diagnosed as legally blind. Bright yellows and orange shades were the first things he showed any hint of seeing, so I made him a quilt with high contrast and lots of orange. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of it.

You may need to get more information about what your friend's condition actually is. There are different manifestations of color blindness, and what works for one may not be what others experience.

RST

not the best shot, but you can see quilt on wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113123.jpe  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
another thought. Don't fall into a trip and make a quilt that you think the colors should be and what you believe go together. It is his quilt even tho others might not think it is perfectly color coordinated.
Many men are red/green color challenged and purples look like blue and sometime greens appear to be browns. I might take him to the shop and let him pick the colors that are pleasing to him.
I can totally relate to this. I am a color blind quilter. Mostly red/green and Holice explained it pretty good. Many primary colors are mixed together to get secondary colors and so forth. So, if a color has red or green in it, it won't "appear" as it's true self to the color blind. I mistake one color for another all the time. I had help sorting my stash and everything is labeled. But, when it comes time to make a new quilt I work mostly in shades and tones. I've not had a problem yet. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me or we could discuss it right here for all to see so everyone can learn from this.

Because purple has red in it, it appears blue because I can't see the red in it. I get brown and green confused all the time. Unlike your friend I have a problem with yellow. I like it, but it gives me trouble. For instance, I can't read anything that has been "highlighted" in yellow. The yellow acts like invisible ink, so if you highlight something, it's as if you just erased it. I get dark colors confused all the time. Black, red, dark brown: I can't always tell which is which and could possibly think they are all the same color.

As I said before, I work in color values to do my quilts. You know how they say use a piece of red film to look at your fabrics to determine value. Light, medium, dark. Well, I don't have to use the red film, I have it "built in". LOL!

In my experience I've "learned" what color is what. I may not see it the same way as you, but I have learned to know (most of the time) what color is what. For instance, grass is green and we all know grass is green. Therefore I know grass is green. Fire engines are red and we all know that, therefore I know red based on fire engines. Another example, I know stop lights are red (top), yellow (middle), green (bottom). I'm looking for which one is lit up, not at the actual color, lol. (It's the red flashing and yellow flashing ones that are confusing. Don't worry, I don't drive anymore, but if I did and you were coming the other way, not to worry I'd stop at the yellow light just to be on the safe side.) I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Also, if he/she knows you are making the quilt and they told you they are color blind. More than likely they aren't ashamed of it and are willing to discuss it with you. So, as stated before, feel free to ask questions and take them with you when shopping for fabric. It could be fun and you might learn something unexpected.

You can also go to my profile and check out the quilts I've made.

Oh, I just went and looked. I don't have many quilts posted on here. If you are a member of The Quilt Show you can see all my quilts there. (Actually, you don't have to be a member, I have it set up for all to see, enjoy!)
Just search my user ID, it's: generik4u
Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 AM

I would just ask. I doubt your friend would be sensitive about this. You can even preface your statement by telling him/her that you want to make something especially for them, and so I'm wondering what colors would work--something like that.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 AM

My son in law is colorblind except for blue and yellow so I made him a blue and yellow -- in varying degrees of light and dark. Not my fave, but he can see it!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 AM

why not a Black and White with Yellow for interest?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM

I've never heard of a colorblind person ONLY seeing certain colors... My father is colorblind ( as are both my boys) an dthey SEE all colors... they just SEE it as a different color than over one else.. such as when I see red, my dad sees green, when he sees green he sees brown...