Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a quilt for the color blind? >

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

has anyone made a quilt for the color blind?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 AM

thanks everyone! this really helps!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM

does he actually see yellow or does another color 'look' like yellow. i work with a man that 'sees' colors different than what it really is.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

Don't hesitate to ask what he can see and work from there.
He should want colors that he is comfortable with. Don't forget shades of the colors and values and especially texture and design.
I'm glad you ask this question. The quilt is for him so do what he can enjoy. And don't hesitate to use funky colors that you might not use together. You might assembly a pallet of color and show to him before yu begin.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

another thought. Don't fall into a trip and make a quilt that you think the colors should be and what you believe go together. It is his quilt even tho others might not think it is perfectly color coordinated.
Many men are red/green color challenged and purples look like blue and sometime greens appear to be browns. I might take him to the shop and let him pick the colors that are pleasing to him.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by misseva
does he actually see yellow or does another color 'look' like yellow. i work with a man that 'sees' colors different than what it really is.
My husband was like this, so it might be a good idea to ask more questions. Blues were purples and purples were greens to him. Colors that I would see as brown were just ugh to him, and I always knew he would say yuck. If I wanted him to get me something I had to be really careful. Then I have a friend who is color blind and has to help choosing her colors for a quilt, so that it doesn't clash big time. When I taught school I had a child in second grade who would read the names of the colors on the crayons so he could color.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I might take him to the shop and let him pick the colors that are pleasing to him.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Take him with you, or have him come see your stash. He can pick out things he can see or that look good together. Even if they're not your usual color pallette, if it's something he likes and can easily identify, that's all that matters. Plus you don't run the risk of trying to do yellow and blue and then, oops, he actually can't see those.

Even if it's a surprise, you can probably still find a way to get him to pick out the fabric without expressly telling him it's for a quilt. Make up a male color blind "friend" and ask your friend for help, and then, surprise, there is no friend, he picked out his own quilt fabric :)
Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Maybe pick out a pattern, then have him pick out the fabrics for it.
I really like the idea of not worrying about the colors matching to anyone else, too :D:D:D
Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 AM

Go check with an Optomologist and see what he/she has to tell you. Go to the hospital, it is free there. Go to the clinic and even ask a nurse, they might be able to help you out, even try on line and see what you come up with. Post the answer here for others who would like to know.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 AM

I made a black and white quilt for a friend who was colour blind. You could put yellow in as an accent colour.

Best wishes,
Pauline in England
Old 10-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Have him go to the store with you and pick out the colors he sees then u can suprise him with how you make it! Many still see shades of color. I agree yellow/black/grey would be awesome.