Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help please >

Need help please

Need help please

Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

What a tough question. Good luck with making your decision making. The quilt is really beautiful. Will you please post a picture after it's quilted?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Your quilt is stunning. After reading the responses above, I would have to agree with two ... if this person is a close, dear friend, either give it as a gift or consider the idea of a barter. In the end, you must do what is in your heart.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Thank you every one for your help :D .

I did give her one she has been eyeing for awhile for her birthday in July. She has commissioned a quilt from me before too made from her deceased hubby's shirts and loved it.

I orginally made this for a wedding gift, for my daughter but thought it was waayyy to light in color and started over in darker colors. (they loved the one I gave them more anyway) So, it was just hanging in my closet and I need the room! :lol:

I was also thinking I can even live with it being under priced because it isn't the money I am concerned with, I know she loves my quilts and will take very good care of it. She already has 3 of them. But just needed an idea of what to charge. She is re-doing her guest room.

I do need to charge something as it was a lot of work, but then it was good practice too. :lol:

My DH says I don't charge enough either.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Given this info I would calculate the charges and show her what you have in it and tell her you want just to cover your costs.
Maybe she can add in something that is a specialty of hers, an apple pie or something like that.

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Thank you every one for your help :D .

I did give her one she has been eyeing for awhile for her birthday in July. She has commissioned a quilt from me before too made from her deceased hubby's shirts and loved it.

I orginally made this for a wedding gift, for my daughter but thought it was waayyy to light in color and started over in darker colors. (they loved the one I gave them more anyway) So, it was just hanging in my closet and I need the room! :lol:

I was also thinking I can even live with it being under priced because it isn't the money I am concerned with, I know she loves my quilts and will take very good care of it. She already has 3 of them. But just needed an idea of what to charge. She is re-doing her guest room.

I do need to charge something as it was a lot of work, but then it was good practice too. :lol:

My DH says I don't charge enough either.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Love the quilt! Being that it is queen size and your going to quilt it, I would say somewhere between $300-$500. Its easy for me to say, but if I had to tell a friend it would be hard.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM

I don't know about pricing, but it is lovely!!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM

This is an awkward situation for sure. If it's a dear friend, like you say, AND she's on a fixed income, could you give the quilt to her or exchange/barter with her? Maybe she has something you'd like or can do something for you! That way you won't feel like you didn't get enough and she won't feel strapped for cash --- just a suggestion.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Oh my goodness! That is beautiful. I don't know how you will part with it, I don't think I could. As for pricing, if you aren't sure of her finances, maybe you could ask her how much she thought she would be able to pay for it. I am always giving my quilts away, so any money would probably be fine with me, but you may do this as a business??? Good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Me too. I wouldn't be able to part with it.
Originally Posted by erstan947
Wow, this is my all time favorite quilt pattern and colors. I'm no help in pricing, Just wanted to tell you I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Oh my goodness! That is beautiful. I don't know how you will part with it, I don't think I could. As for pricing, if you aren't sure of her finances, maybe you could ask her how much she thought she would be able to pay for it. I am always giving my quilts away, so any money would probably be fine with me, but you may do this as a business??? Good luck.
Me too, I generally give them as gifts.