Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • had to buy a new iron >
  • had to buy a new iron

• had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 03:43 AM

i have the oliso and love, love, love it. took it to a quilting retreat and i think everyone wanted an oliso by the time the retreat was over. hope yours does well for you. hug a veteran today. . .thanks to all who have served.
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 AM

I use cheap irons. Had an expensive one that died too early. I figure at the price I'm paying, several a year wouldn't add up to what I spent on the first one.
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:24 AM

I had to smile when I read all these posts! I, too, bought two very heavy expensive Rowenta's in less than two years! They work great when they work, but they shut off very quickly and then it is about two minutes until they reheat. The first one died just past the one year warranty. The second one, the red light that tells you it is on, went out within a month but the iron worked just fine. I took it to Good Will because I was tired of dealing with Rowentas. So that is what they do with them? Someone could buy an iron that cost me nearly $150 for $5.99? That is a great deal and I am happy for you.

I like the non-stick plate, the high wattage, etc., but these Rowentas just do not hold up.
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 AM

I've had good luck with my Bernina iron that I bought over 15 age years ago and still going strong. It was about $100 but well worth it. I recently purchased a Shark to use with applique because I liked the point in front and a lighter weight with sharper edges. I purchased it at Best Buy for $29 and bought a 2 year protection/replacement plan for another $6. I just dug out a very lightly used Rowenta yesterday and the sole plate was rusty. I never even put water into the tank! How does that happen?
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 AM

I have the Oliso and absolutely love it. The 30 minute shut-off and not having to stand it up are great features!
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Bought 1st Rowenta. Leaked in six weeks. Got replacement. It leaked. Got a different model as replacement. It leaked. I'm back to the cheapies at Walmart.
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:06 AM
    Power Poster

have not filled it yet?
    oh must be early...i assume you are planning to put water in it...good luck . have nothing to offer concerning that iron...i prefer the $12 irons that stay hot. and i never ever put water in an iron...i had 3 (over $100) irons that the kids put water in...all 3 were finished after less than 6 months and all of them leaked, spit, splattered within weeks.
    i keep a water bottle on my ironing board and spritz my fabric when i need some steam. my current $12 iron is 3 1/2 years old and working great.
    good luck with your new iron. you didnt' tell us how expensive it was so no idea if you got a good deal or not. i hope no one gets burned when you (water-it)
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 AM

I was going to get the Rowenta until I read the negative reviews; I bought the same Oliso that you bought and, although pricey, it really is great. I did have a problem where the steam button on the top stuck, contacted the company and they sent me a new one. It is great; I'd keep it if I were you.
    Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 AM

I have a shark and hate it. I had a Rowenta and it leaked like a sieve - I did keep it though, and use it for emergencies as a dry iron, but was a pita to have to dampen everything before ironing or pressing. The shark has that blasted auto shut off feature - I swear it uses more electricity than one that stays on. I keep looking for one that doesn't have auto shut off, but haven't found one yet.
    Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 AM

I'm very happy with the Olisio. Takes a few tries to remember you don't have to stand it up but once you get used to it, it's a time saver and so convenient. If you're ironing a large piece and need to smooth the fabric as you go you just leave the iron where it is, do your smoothing, and proceed. Hope you enjoy yours. One hint, at least with mine, when you fill it make sure that little door is fully CLOSED. I store mine standing up and first time I did there was a mini-flood. My fault, not the iron.

FREE Quilting Newsletter