Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • backing as binding? >
  • backing as binding?

• backing as binding?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Does anyone use the backing as the binding? I have a friend that says she uses the backing as the binding. That sounds like an interesting ideas. Any tips and tricks to do this?
    I do all the time, especially for the charity quilts or when the backing pattern goes really well with the front of the quilt.
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 AM

I do this alot & it works just fine. The only time don't is if it wouldn't match & look good with what's on the front side. Otherwise, I often fold the front & back together, then topstitch the edge at time or two, all the way around, & it's done! Don't like binding, or messing with it, on every quilt, so these methods work out nicely too! It's your quilt, do what works for you & enjoy!...
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 AM

if you ever think of entering a quilt into a show or contest do not pull you backing over to the front for binding - this is a no no for that kind of thing. I have never used backing as binding. It is not as strong as binding should be. To have a strong binding fold fabric in half and sew onto the front with your machine and then hand stitch onto the back. That is the correct way to do it. But if it is just for you and you do not care and want what is easiest for you do how you wish.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 AM

I have used the backing as a binding often on small projects and big. After my husband quilts them there is often enough good fabric around the whole quilt to use as binding.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 AM

So do you quilt the quilt before or after you bring the binding to the front?

I tried it once after I quilted the quilt, but due to the amount of quilting in the borders, the excess fabric of the backing wasn't flat-it ruffled a little.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 AM

I have never tried turning the front to the back for binding. I will have to give that a try on my current WIP. Thanks for the idea AlwaysQuilting,
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 AM

I have never folded over the backing for the binding as I don't like the look of it. I do however use the backing fabric for binding lots of times.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    So do you quilt the quilt before or after you bring the binding to the front?

I tried it once after I quilted the quilt, but due to the amount of quilting in the borders, the excess fabric of the backing wasn't flat-it ruffled a little.

I always do the outer edges last, however I finish them. Think of it as the finishing touch!...
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 AM

I should word that differently - I have used the backing fabric as binding but not folded over to the front. I don't like that technique and it is not recommended in any quilting books or instructors that I have ever heard of. Cut off the excess backing fabric or use left over fabric from the back and fold in half and apply according to binding instructions.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 AM

I learned to make what was called a french binding because the binding is usually one of the first parts of a quilt to show wear. Making it a seperate piece of fabric about 2 1/2 inches wide, folding it in half width-wise, sewing it on the quilt front-side, then folding/turning the strip it to the back before hand-hemming the back, doubles the thickness of that strip of binding fabric, which makes it last twice a long before it will wear out. If you want your quilts to last, I suggest making the binding double thickness front and back by using this method.