Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does Your Husband Help With Chores? >
  • Does Your Husband Help With Chores?

• Does Your Husband Help With Chores?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM

DH will do dishes, food shopping, and vacuuming. He can make a mean breakfast, but won't attempt dinner-type stuff. He seems to be afraid to touch the washer. He thinks he's going to break it. His mother did his laundry before we were married, and I think she considered that her turf. Like others have said, he'll do stuff that I ask him to. Otherwise he'll watch sports all day. :)
    Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Work facinates my husband. He can sit and watch it for hours. I can't get him to do anything without raising H***. He was laid off about 2 years ago and would really like to stay retired but we just can't afford it. I'm retired too but I don't intend to go back to work and then come home and do all the housework too. Sorry for the rant but it's a sore spot with me.
    Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM

My DH is retired and I work full time so he does all the home stuff, which is the cooking, cleaning, yard work etc. The only thing I do is my own laundry (that is a result of the pink bra episode) :-D . Supper is usually on the table when I get home from work and he lets me surf the QB in the evenings and play with my quilt stuff on the weekends. We have been married 37 years. He's a keeper.
    Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM

My husband is a wonderful guy. He wants to do his laundry - did while I was working part time, but I feel it's somethin I WANT to do and now that I am home full time he let's me ;). Our boys do their own laundry and help with chores. One day they will be a great help to their wives!! My husband and I share most chores.... he'll clean the bathroom and help with other things inside when I ask him to - we both do outside stuff...
    Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Since my husband retired, he has been "helping" inside the house. At first I fought it... I had pink undies (these were white) from his inability to sort colors from whites.. I had shrunken sweaters because he doesn't have time to read labels and I had VERY linty sweaters (washed with my fabrics pieces). I've learned to relax about it all. If he ruins something, he'll just have to pay for a new one. THAT has helped him learn the rules.

One thing I noticed about men is that they love to use the machines in the house. He'll vacumn but not dust, he'll load the dishwasher and turn it on but never wants to handwash anything. Loves the laundry. It's taken me about 10 years but I'm okay with what he does now. Gives me more time in the sewing room and gives him something to do. Best thing of all is he has learned to cook and he's really good at it.
    Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Hubby has been retired for 5 year now and he does all the housework except....I cook, wash the floors and do the bathrooms...he does everything else...oh I bath the dogs and feed them most of the time....now that is a lot isn't it?
    Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM

all he does at home is mow the lawn when it needs it and fixes things that break cause he does a lot at work you see we manage a trucking business and he does all the fixen that needs to be done like welding and fixing the engine and other things that go with the job...
    Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM

Yes, my husband is a great help.
    Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM

What? Excuse me? Sorry, I just came in from snow blowing the driveway for the second time and my ears and eyes are snow crusted from the wind blowing the snow in my face - hubby will be home soon. (I'm on winter break) MMM, I'll answer after I defrost myself in front of the stove while I cook dinner. Darn, just remembered my sheets are in the dryer! :)

My husband has a new response when I ask him for help/assistance/whatever..... I'll do it... eventually
    Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM

My husband is great! Yes he does help. But, he does leave things laying around all the time. lol We do have many conversations about that!