Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them?? >

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 AM

My husband can see the “value” of some of our old family quilts. He realizes that the “value” lies in the memories an old lady has of her childhood, not a price tag. The quilts are priceless, but probably wouldn’t fetch a red cent at a yard sale. They are faded with the ages and tattered with love. Quilts stored in a closest will not fade or become tattered, filled with memories for the children who follow. Instead, they’ll dry rot and disintegrate, not knowing love, or having stories to tell.

It’s time to start making memories with those quilts. Move the furniture and have a romantic, indoor picnic on the quilt. Put the kids in it, hammock style, you each take an end, and swing them - the memories of their giggles will become part of the quilt. Have him build a tent, and crawl under it with the kids. As they shine their flashlights on the Treckies, have them tell stories. Have a family camp-out - indoors. Pad the floor with quilts, put a broom over a couple of chairs, and drape a quilt for the tent. Get the snacks and spend the night “Camping out”. When the weather gets nicer, do the same thing outside. Usually, all it takes is for a quilt to get “christened”, then the fear of ruining the quilt is past, and usefulness is realized. The play time will bond Father, children and quilts. Perhaps that will get the quilts into use.

One caution, everyone should still be aware that this is a handmade quilt to be enjoyed and respected. Letting the dog chew on it may not be indicated. Set your perameaters.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 AM

when I gift friends with quilts, I tell them not to hang them or save them. They are meant to be used and loved. Then I offer the "guarantee" that if they are loved to shreds, they'll get another! My husband does not see my work as "art" or "special"--grrr. But, he uses my quilts and loves the feeling of them, especially the ones with flannel backs.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 AM

It's not possible... So I've never made him one!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 AM

I tell him if he doesnt use it, someone else will!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 AM

Gee, olebat! Those are great ideas. you are special !!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:39 AM

All quilts that I make have to be sleep tested before they can be given to person intended. DH is the tester:0) So far all quilts have passed final inspection. DH has had many naps these past few years. Guess I am lucky.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 AM

My DH uses his quilts to extinction. He told me the other day that it is time to start a new one for him because he is retiring his fave one. (made that quilt 27 years ago and have refused to repair it another time.) I love that he uses them up.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 AM

they're so beautiful,,, maybe he's afraid he'll spoil them? spill some stuff on them for him. ketchup, beer, pizza... might make them irresistible. lol...
Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 AM

I made my DH a really big (nursing home bed size - lol) John Deere and cattle quilt for our anniversary. He was like your DH in that he didn't want to ruin it. I took it and put on our lazy boy love seat he always sits on to watch TV. It's getting used now.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Jim

our kids certainly use theirs and the grands do as well...we use one my MIL made and only have my first one that we have hanging and one other...its nice to see them being used. We keep 6 throws folded close to the sofa for naps...the 4 grands grands use them everyday..time to make more a few are hinging on extinction