Have to vent

Old 03-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
This is one area that needs more regulation!! There should be a cap on markup. I know I have great insurance my copay for my injections is 35.00 (they dont make generic) They always list the cost which is right at 3600. of course the insurance company is then billed for the difference of my copay and cost. And we wonder why our insurance rates keep going up !!!

Dont even get me started on the Medicare prescription plan - I qualify for it but choose to buy my own insurance. How do they expect anyone to afford drugs they desperately need. All I can say is the legislatures probably have not run into this or have a family member with a chronic illness. Of course their insurance is the best to be had and at the cheapest rate!!! Thanks Hiliary :lol:
Insurance companies very rarely pay full price for prescriptions. They negotiate with the manufacturer for a reduced price. My insurance company now tells me what drugs I can take - whatever is on their 'formulary' is ok, everything else costs $$$, even with a co-pay. Some of their formulary drugs don't work for me...so I pay, and pay and pay. It's either that or get sick.

Thank God we can afford to pay. At least for now.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by LindaJR
My thing is that Obama's insurance bill should have been approached on fixing the insurance companies. They are what is wrong with the whole helath care problem, but I do not want nation health insurance I just want regulations put on insurance companies and medical manufactureres of meds and other health care products.
You got your wish. Health insurers are the biggest beneficiary of that, followed by pharmaceutical companies. By any definition, the health insurers are "well fixed" for the forseeable future.

However, what is good for health insurers doesn't solve the biggest problems with health care in the USA - cost and access.

Maybe if our darned politicians (ALL of them, not just Dems and not just GOP) would get off their idiotic soap boxes and actually do their jobs - REPRESENT CITIZENS, NOT BIG BUSINESS - we'd have gotten a real health reform law.

And now I will step off my soap box.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 PM

I decided if it isn't generic, I won't take it. Besides, I am soooooo tired of every time you turn around another dr. gives you something else to take. I used to take so many that I felt horrible all the time. So one at a time, I stopped taking them. I take only what I think I need, and I feel sooooooooooooo much better. My dad died at age 76, and the family is so sure he was just over medicated on everything. And why in the world would we want to pay for the non-generic if generic is available. It sure doesn't make sense to me. So I'm glad you told them "Hell No!"
Old 03-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
While we're talking about health insurance companies and drugs, let's also talk about SSDI and Medicare. You can disenroll from both Social Seucirty disability income or insurance, SSDI, and Medicare Part B if you don't like the price of Part b and you have a JOB that pays enough in wages but you're stuck having Medicare Part a for another 98 months past termination of Part B. DH's health insurance says that for me to have his insurance, I have to have both A & B, just can't have Part A which is all I have now. DH's insurance company calls me "a non-insurable entity" - gotta love that label!!! Have spent the last 6 months fighting this. Went to SSA yesterday to talk to real people & the 2nd lady told me I was stuck in the disability system at Social Security. I can either pay for Part B for the rest of my life and get DH's insurance coverage, I can wait until Part a expires in Aug 2016 and then get his health insurance coverage or I can die at which time I assume both expire since I am also expired. I am so stinkin' mad it ain't funny and have decided that I'll wait until Aug 2016 to get health insurance. What a ridiculous situation and the idiots at SSA don't have a clue and talk to me like I'm an imbecilic idiot. Am going to see a supervisor on Monday with DH - we hope he can understand the situation. I am a disabled vet so have some healthcare coverage through the VA. Sorry for the long post and venting about the system but it is very frustrating and on-going.
I am disabled also, not Medicare age yet. But I bring home about $100 to much a month to get SSI. I do get a very small SSdisability, but no insurance. So I am paying through the nose just to stay insured until I am 65. Then I'll feel like I'm rich because my insurance for PartB and D will go down drastically. Fortunately I only have 2 yrs. to wait. While all the noncitizens in this country get Medicaid at no cost. Something big time wrong with our coutry.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM

and I bet they wondered"why doesn't she want it". Are they all nuts?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The US drug companies research all the meds. No laws to research meds in most countries. Canada and Mexico do not research medicines. No research no high cost to pass on. They use US research info. If US didn't require drug testing our prices would be super low and we would all be going to many more funerals.
The Europeans research the drugs, too. In fact, the FDA frequently refuses to allow researched medications from Europe into the US. I guess their standards are not the same - notice I didn't say that the FDA standards are better - just not the same.

USA is viewed as a cash cow by pharmaceutical companies. They milk us for every cent they can.

If they can sell a drugs for big $$$ in the USA, then they can afford to sell the same drugs for much less in other countries. Essentially, US citizens are paying for the drugs these companies sell for a lot less all over the world. And if we can't afford the drugs - oh, well. We get to be sick and die.

On top of that, we pay for the FDA to approve the drugs via taxes, why should we also pay for the rest of the world to get the advantage of the testing we paid for?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Please Please all here that are healthy and not on any long term meds, do everything for your health. Eat right, get exercise, lose the excess weight, get regular check ups and don't forget dental problems. Dental problems may not cause pain but can destroy your immune system. Make sure your kids know what the right health choices are even though they may not always choose the healthy ones all the time. Any money spent to prevent health problems is money saved.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM

My meds that have to come from the mail order place that my insurance designates all have been made in India--go figure!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by patski
and I bet they wondered"why doesn't she want it". Are they all nuts?
If you are talking about me, they truly don't get "why I don't want it." They (SSA) can't understand why I want to be free of their clutches and off the disability system. I was told in the beginning about SSDI that it's only a temporary thing for most people. I'm guessing that ain't true cuz it's be simpler if I got sick again, was laid off, and then restarted the SSDI. I am much happier off SSDI which is yet another thing SSA and other parties concerned don't seem to understand. Most people I talk with don't seem to understand why I even want to be off SSDI and Medicare. AARRRGGGHHH!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Wow, experienced similar last week when the cobra payment was posted late, normal copay $40, w/o $249.00, nope I'll wait and the pharmacy can re-run the fill order. I am grateful I can pay the cobra but so looking forward to my new employers insurance to kick in on May 1! I really feel for those that don't have that option, ouch!