Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 AM

I'm 79 and I tell myself and anyone else who may be listening that I now have to live to at least 102 to get all of my bucket list cut, sewn and quilted. My enthusiasm far outweighs my sewing pace. In the past year, I have bought two treadles, two FW's and one 15-90 electric and a 66head. I just finished cleaning up that 66 head and got her into one of the treadle cabinets. All I have left to do is put the new belt on there and I will be ready to rock and roll. I started on a treadle many years ago and sewed all the first three children's clothes on it, now I have circled back and intend to do most of my sewing on my new/old treadle. If I run out of time, well someone is going to inherit a wonderful pastime for themselves. We aren't even going to talk about my stash. LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 AM

I am 55 and I have attended some fabulous classes and I have learnt more from the older ladies who take the classes with me than the tutors! Age is a number and as others on this board have said none of us know how long we have so just thread and needle and enjoy!!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 AM

I know some pretty "old" people in their 40s and 50s. Keep creating! Like we all know, life could end tomorrow..or today..we just don't know! Do what gives you pleasure. Plenty of people don't allow themselves even that!
sandy
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 AM

I've been going through some of that. What I've done is identify who is going to inherit the top I'm piecing or who is going to get it right away. Then it gets a labeled cotton sack with their name on it. Thing is, I do this for pure enjoyment. Why should I stop just because I'm getting closer to the end?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 AM

Grandma Moses and her paintings sell for big bucks
Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 AM

I am 66, and understand your feelings because I have had them too. Usually, I start cleaning, rearranging furniture, reorganizing closets etc. and adding flowers or a new plant. All of a sudden I feel excited about being in that space and enjoying the new surroundings.

Try rearranging your quilting area. Put a beautiful bowl or flowerpot on the floor to catch your scraps. Perhaps a colored glass dish to hold your scissors, pins and most used tools. All of sudden, you will want to sit in that space and do something. Maybe you will just want to sit and look at quilting magazines or books. If quilting is meant to be, you will do it again. If not, you will do something else.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 AM

I read about a spinster who, years ago, when being an unmarried woman was kind of looked down on. She had to live with her family and never had a home of her own. Her formula for happiness --

1. Every day, do something you love.
2. Every day, do something for someone else.
3. Every day, do something you hate.
4. Every day, do something spiritual or educational.
5. Every day, write in a journal about what was good that day.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 AM

Age is only a number. Take some Vitamin D for an uplift. I am 72 and plan to live to 120 - plenty of time for quilting!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Wow...great responses to an excellent post. I can't add much, just go with the flow. Until someone says "time of death and a number" we should all do as much as we can to enjoy life. I often get a boost when it's something to give to others; I take the leftovers or the things with "oops" in them. I do just fine! Helping someone else is a motto I live with.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 AM

I think age has something to do with my lack of enthusiam lately. There are more things in life besides sitting in your sewing room alone, furiously trying to finish a project.