Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I'm going to say something a little radical here - Quilting is NOT the only thing in life. If you're not feeling enthusiastic about making quilts, do something else for a while. Later on you may want to come back to quilting, maybe not. It's fine either way.
Well said! I am 57 but when my husband retired at age 55 I began to act & feel old...even to the point of thinking things like 'this will be the last puppy I ever get' (it wasn't) After a while (tooo long!!!) of thinking like that I decided I needed a change; didn't even matter what I changed I just needed to get out of my rut. I am trying to act young againcause why waste whatever I do have left? Do you enjoy shopping for fabric? If so shop for the fun of it! If not find something that you do enjoy now, reading, crosswords puzzle...hey soaps if you like them!!! Just did something for YOU, you deserve it! :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
I say do not worry about things like that..Enjoy your quilting, and if you want to buy more fabric ...do so..Enjoy what you do and enjoy your life.. :wink:
Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I think sometimes of things like that. I don't know if it's just me but I've always been that way. It's like getting depressed but not THAT depressed, just depressing feelings.
I find that it really doesn't matter how old we are. We are alive TODAY!! Always gets my thinking back on track.
HUGS, Sue
Old 05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
mim

I got married in October 2010 -- and started a new adventure. Life is an adventure. Also moved from east to west coast -- we will summer in ME and winter in WA -- Yes -- Just because a clock ticks, doesn't mean I have to keep track of time.

To put it in perspective I have a son in his mid 50s.

Mim

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm 59 and I know that I will be leaving behind lots of stuff and someone is going to be a very happy camper!! And imagine what will be there if I make it to 72? In the meantime, I'm going to do the things I want, and there will be finished and unfinished stuff guaranteed, but I'm going to enjoy myself.

That said, I did find myself in your mind frame recently and then I realized I was getting too mired in one thing, man does not live by quilting alone! I love to sew, so I'm working on a guild charity project now, which is due to be turned in by July 1st, and I finished up some burp cloths for one of my students who couldn't finish them because her baby came early, and I did an alterations project for a couple of coworkers and I've always wanted to learn how to paint flowers on rocks so pulling out all the supplies I purchased for that to give it a try - how cool they would look in my rock garden! These are all "short term" type projects, just what I need right now.

So, maybe you'll never get to all those projects you'd like to try, maybe you'll never make up that kit you bought, and maybe you'll never find the perfect pattern for that fabric you can't bring myself to use on just anything, but so what, are you doing something that provides you with enjoyment, contentment and a sense of accomplishment? That's all that really matters.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 PM

I'm soon to be 85 and it frightens me that I won't be able to accomplish all of the things I have yet to make before I'm 100. Oh, yes, I AM going to reach 100 because I SAID so. Most think I'm crazy. How about you? LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I am 67 and go into little slumps every now and then, but, not because I think my time is drawing to a close. I know my son will call 1-800-GOT-JUNK when I go, so I don't worry about it and just enjoy each day as best I can.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM

You are young compared to my mother who is 89 and she still sews and quilts each week! Her work is not like it was because she has eye problems and it bugs her, but we tell her we love all the gifts she makes for many family members. Don't even think about being old!!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM

I guess i'm kinda young as I am only 56. The way I see it, I have years of quilt making ahead of me. Besides, i just love fabric. So, if I can afford to indulge, why not. My grandparents lived to their late 90's. My mom is 76 and dad is 80 and they are still going strong.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 PM

My mom quilted. She got cancer and was gone in 6 months.She had a lot of unfinished projects. I didn't quilt then but I bagged everything up because I couldn't part with anything that she loved. Today I'm finishing her ufo's. I feel like she is right there with me. I asked one day "Mom are you with me?" and a quilt bundle fell off the shelf. Keep living for today. Tomarrow will take care of itself. We all feel the clock ticking.We're here for you. FayZ