Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 AM

I am 69 and I am not going anywhere any time soon and so what if you leae something unfinished most people do when they go. My son went to Jesus last year at the age of 38 and he left a lot of things unfinished like the 3 children that he left but life goes on so get on with yours, Just what you do for as long as you can. you can talk to us at anytime.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Marcy Marcy, tomorrow will come and go .............either way right? I have a medical problem and in the winter I became overwhelmed with depression, fear and anxiety. I thought why bother with anything......just wait to get sicker and sicker.....will become a burden on my family......got tired of all the tests and appointments................I have another test and biopsy in June, am trying not to think/dwell about it. Anyway, with your yrs,. of experence you have so much to share.........you have endured a lot, and have skills to share with others.....one place is here the board. What about family members are they living close? Girlfirends? calla
Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
Marcy
I have a friend that just started quilting last year she is 78 she made 22 tops last year. So don't give up. Maybe your going through some depression. Or if you happen to be on a anti-depressen medication it might have stopped working. I had that problem last year.
If your worried you might not finsh a top don't start any over sized top. Do some charity quilt either for our wounded or for kids. Just don't give up.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM

and what souvenirs your loved ones will have....don`t waste time..get going!!!
Originally Posted by lynnie
where do you live, can i come over and quilt with you????? i bet you have someone who wuld love to INHERIT a bunch of quilts 25-30 years from now, so you better get your butt moving and sew everyday and keep them fabric store in business
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM

My mother died at 85 and had many unfinished projects and quilt tops. Her daughters inherited all of them and we are working on finishing up her legacy. There never is enough time to do ALL the projects we want to do, but it is the actual quilting, sewing, piecing, that is the fun. Enjoy each day God gives you and do what will make you happy.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Do something for some one else. It will make them happy, and it will lift your mood.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to say something a little radical here - Quilting is NOT the only thing in life. If you're not feeling enthusiastic about making quilts, do something else for a while. Later on you may want to come back to quilting, maybe not. It's fine either way.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:08 PM

I am 65 and I quilt when ever my back lets me It keeps my mind active and thinking all the time
Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 PM

I am 75, but I am not giving up yet. In fact tomorrow I go for a bowel CT scan (not looking forward to results) but two days ago I bought a total of 22 yards of fabric to add to my stash. Well I had to cheer myself up. didn't I?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm 77 and have a ton of ufo that I have to get done as none of my girls seem to be interested . but who knows so for what evertime I have my goal is to finish them besides starting more, My GD wants me to make one for her tht she picked the pattern and the fabric. so have to get that started as soonas she brings the material/ book with the Pattern.I like sewing but I get tired very easy.