Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Firemen collecting money on the street >

Firemen collecting money on the street

Firemen collecting money on the street

Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 AM

I think it is an incredible thing that they take time out from their personal lives to help others. There is no obligation for anyone to contribute, and there is no reason to feel guilty...if you don't have change, you don't have change. They don't expect to collect from every car. They have been doing this for years (at least 3 that I know of). Giving of one's self/time is equally as commendable as giving of money. :)
Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM

I throw my change in the pocket in my pickup door. About once a year our firemen do the collection thing. We have a lot of fun..holding up traffic while he gets the change out of the pocket. They usually get quite a bit of money from me that way.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:38 AM

I can imagine some people might feel particularly awkward about saying no to someone in uniform, but as long as they are clearly off duty and clearly not asking for money for themselves, I can live with it.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:44 AM

It bothers me because if that were a homeless man in the middle of the street with a boot asking for money, he would get arrested or asked by the police to stop. So I'm not a fan of the boot begggers even though I like their cause. But if I have change handy I throw it in.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 AM

I would rather give to something like this than the "homeless" people standing on the corner begging. They sure are clean for being homeless.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 AM

I do not like it.My son had just got his licenes an they had a line stopped .he ended up in an accident. So you see I dont think it is safe. an I dont carry money with me either
Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 AM

We used to run into that on the way to the shore. I'm sure during peak hours it generated a lot of income, but it held traffic up terribly. We always were able to come up with at least some change in the ashtray. But there ar alot in our area - especially in an area I may pass several times a day and DO feel quilty going through when I've contributed the first time.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 AM

Its a great way to help if u chose not to then don;t........
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 AM

I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, I think the cause is a wonderful one, but I don't like the method of collecting for three reasons:

1. I despise being accosted for donations, whether on the street side or in front of a grocery store, or really at all. I dislike being called and asked for money as well. I don't know why but it makes me feel like they're trying to guilt me into giving..."if you don't give us money to help kids with this wasting disease you're a horrible horrible person!! Now fork over the dough!" I donate to various charities and organizations, but none that use such tactics. It makes me think of the facebook statuses..."If you agree, repost this as your status!" or emails "If you agree, send it along to everyone you know!" The unspoken, implied message is that if you DON'T send it along, you DON'T agree, and thus are an awful person. I refuse to pander to such emotional blackmail.

2. It's not safe. People are crazy these days, and driving more distractedly than ever. I can just see someone on their cell phone plowing into a fireman because they were so focused on their conversation they didn't see him.

3. I don't carry cash with me, and as time goes on more and more people are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they find their donations have been decreasing over the years due to that fact alone.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 AM

DH and I are all for it. This is one of their causes nationwide. Our city just had theirs last weekend. When you have a relative that suffered for many years as a child, it doesn't take a second thought to add to the boot. And we think having them on the corners at intersections is awesome. They advertise for weeks beforehand, so many know they will be there. Never a problem with them in anyone's way. Everyone slows down. A lot of pride for us, and tremendous pride for those firemen and their cause.