Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 PM

I would have said something. many times I have ben in Joanns or Hobby Lobby and started talking to someone who was asking the clerk how much to have for making such a curtain. So far I have never had anyone get mad or annoyed. sometimes the clerk is a little relieved that someone else added their opinion.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:12 PM

I would have mentioned the additional amount she might need.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I doubt I would have spoken up, I usually do, not always the right time and not always on a good subject. I try to keep my nose out of others conversations, just not always.
I quilt and have made clothing, curtains and lots of stuff. I really think it should be a requirement to work in the cutting dept. to know how to sew.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM

A wonderful teaching moment was missed. I don't expect clerks to know anything and I would have said something in this situation, but then I was a teacher for many years. I remember arguing with a custom drapery clerk and telling her that her measurements were wrong. I went through them carefully with her drawing sketches and writing calculations. She insisted hers were correct and the work room would know how what to do from what she had written. The draperies were wrong, the manager saw the mistake immediately, the order had to be redone and the clerk was let go.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
pal

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
I would have started a conversation with complimenting her on her fabric choice,,,then asking what style she was planning on making,,,,,then that would have help get my foot in the door to help her,,,,,I have made lasting friends over the yrs by helping them in fabric stores...can t help it,,,it's in my blood
Absolutely! I'd have done the same as Buzzy Bee, complimenting on her choice of fabric and asking what style she was going to make. Most people are so grateful to get helpful information.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM

I would have spoken up. No fear in this girl. lol I'd have helped her figure her cuts, given her my card, and told her to call me if she needed help. (I have a custom window treatment and quilting business). Hey, I'm so bold I once offered to help a new Walmart employee cut the fabric. She was having a horrible time with right handed scissors and she was left handed. She gladly handed them over and before I left she learning how to rip cut. I firmly believe our knowledge is to share.... :)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 AM

I would have said something too, sorry,, I can't seem to keep quiet when I see an issue :)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 AM

I would have said something.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 AM

maybe she only needed two 45's because she was running the curtains crosswise and using the selvedge edge for hems and headers...i have seen instructions like this...hope she knows to remove the selvedge before sewing if they are going to be laundered.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 AM

It always amazes me that these sewing places hire someone without any knowledge of sewing/quilting. I have had several bad experiences with Joann's "help". They have been unable to answer my questions and have messed up on the cutting requirements. It will be a long time before I go back to this store!!