Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said something????????? >

Would you have said something?????????

Would you have said something?????????

Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I would asked if it was OK to ask her a question. That way you would have permission to but in.
Nice way to put it.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 PM

I would want someboby to step in and help me out. So I would have said something. Live and learn :wink:
Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM

I would have probably only been paying partial attention...But, if I caught it, I might have said something to the effect of "I'm sorry, but did that include fabric for the headers and hem??" And see if they came up w/ it or asked for further assistance.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM

I would have started a conversation with complimenting her on her fabric choice,,,then asking what style she was planning on making,,,,,then that would have help get my foot in the door to help her,,,,,I have made lasting friends over the yrs by helping them in fabric stores...can t help it,,,it's in my blood
Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM

I would have said something as well. That way the gal would have gotten the correct amount of fabric and the poor gal cutting, who obviously knew nothing beyond adding 45+45, would have learned something useful.

Why on earth was she cutting? Customers ask questions all the time of the gals/guys at the cutting tables, assuming they know about fabric and sewing. Being able to cut is just a small part of the job. Makes me crazy.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Me and my big mouth i would have said something even it they didnt want to hear it LOL
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Thought you were suppose to "say something". LOL. I alway strike up a conversation with people in line to get fabric cut. Passes time more quickly. Have "advised" customers about fabric, how much, etc., and never had any one get annoyed. At least i couldn't tell they were annoyed.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM

I've commented on people purchasing fabric for curtains, when they ask how much they need. I used to work in a fabric store that had a huge home dec department, so though I don't make draperies for anyone other than myself, I know the basics.

What I have noticed is that people think that if (for example) they have a 36" x 40" window, they need a piece of fabric that is 36x40 plus seam allowances. What they don't realize is this will be too small, you really need a piece at least 1-1/2 to 2x the width of your window, if you just want simple flat panels. If you want fullness in your curtain, you need 2-1/2 to 3x the width, or more!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
I've commented on people purchasing fabric for curtains, when they ask how much they need. I used to work in a fabric store that had a huge home dec department, so though I don't make draperies for anyone other than myself, I know the basics.

What I have noticed is that people think that if (for example) they have a 36" x 40" window, they need a piece of fabric that is 36x40 plus seam allowances. What they don't realize is this will be too small, you really need a piece at least 1-1/2 to 2x the width of your window, if you just want simple flat panels. If you want fullness in your curtain, you need 2-1/2 to 3x the width, or more!
This gal was told by a family member to do a double width. No concern about headers, and hems and placement of rods and how wide the window frame is.

I'm really mad at myself for not saying anything.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Last time I bought fabric in Hobby Lobby I had to tell the young lady how to cut it or I would have had lots of material. She was clueless.