Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accuquilt Go Cutter >
  • Accuquilt Go Cutter

• Accuquilt Go Cutter

Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 AM

I have the GO and enjoy it. It is use to make the strips for many projects. I am just now doing some of the shapes, but so far it is going well. My daughter can use it with mom standing over her shoulder when we do projects together.
    Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 AM
    j

I like my Baby Go, but not the hexagon -that was a hard pattern for me and I felt that only a big one should be on one die, not the little ones, they should also be on one die. - J
    Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Just yesterday I was discussing these machines with a friend. We had both opted not to get one because it takes more fabric, you have to cut pieces before putting them in the machine and we do not sew that way. Now for appliques and such I think it would be ideal but when I make a nine patch I do not sew all little squares together. Both of us use rotary cutting techniques where we sew parts together and then cut. It reminds me a little of using templates. I do think one might be in my future some time if I can no longer rotary cut due to medical reasons. I would probably then go for the studio. You are taking the right steps thinking it through. It helped me a lot to watch videos online to realize for now it is not for me. Something I do use a lot is the June Tailor shape cutter.

I see your point however Im a scrappy quilterf I use up my scraps and they are already cut anyways- so i find the die that fits the fab and cut away.... Works for me.. I have most if not all the dies ( i dont use the strips tho- they are still wrapped NIP)

AS for the Winding ways, DWR, Blazing star and the llike dies, I save time, and the LITTLE waste of fabric by far out ways trying to cut these patterns by hand or rotary cutter..

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my go.. I use it all the time.. My fav's are the tumblers, Bricks, 2x2 and the rags.. I couldnt imagine cutting all those ends by hand!!!! What a saver...

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 12-03-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 AM

I am a fairly newbie too and I love my Go! Makes cutting so much easier!
    Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 AM
    Power Poster

I didn't fall for the lots of wasted fabric usually from non owners, when buying a die cut. I get 1/4" waste on most cuts. The demos show lots of wasted fabric because the person doesn't have time to place the fabric for less waste, showing how the machine works is the main focus of a demo. I mark 1/4" all around the die blade. I place my fabric pieces on that line. Simple and no waste. I've experimented enough to know I can fold four layers on the die and have the excess fabric off to one side and it goes through the roller, not on the die. I seldom cut fabric to fit the die anymore.
    Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Love it. Love it. Love it. Can't live without it. FLIMSY? not by a long shot. Best investment I have made since my serger.
    Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 AM

I have the Accuquilt Baby and really like it. A friend gave me about 30 pounds of quilting scraps--almost all of them in small triangles of varying sizes. With the Accuquilt triangle die I can resize the triangles quickly and I have made two charity quilts with them so far. I have found that the dies may not cut an accurate size--the 2.5 inch square die I bought cuts a little smaller. When I measured the die metal it was slightly smaller than a 2.5 inch square. But that's OK if you use it to cut all of your squares. It is definitely worth the money to me.
    Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I was thinking about asking for one for Christmas. I am worried about the investment to get all the dies though. I have a mid-arm quilting frame that I don't use and I know my husband will be thinking that I am just making another purchase that will sit and gather dust. Three years I have had the mid-arm frame and machine and still haven't even done one quilt.
    Why don't you sell your mid-arm. I bought one from a person like you and make a HUGE amount of charity quilts. She is very happy to see it being USED.
    Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 AM

I have the Sizzix Big Shot and I love it. Someday, I hope to get the Big Shot Pro, because it is larger. I use alot of the Accuquilt dies. Since it is so versatile I chose Sizzix instead. I know alot of gals that like the Accuquilt, they are both great. It is just making the choice of which one.
    Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter
    I have the Sizzix Big Shot and I love it. Someday, I hope to get the Big Shot Pro, because it is larger. I use alot of the Accuquilt dies. Since it is so versatile I chose Sizzix instead. I know alot of gals that like the Accuquilt, they are both great. It is just making the choice of which one.
    I have an AccuQuilt Studio. With an adapter I can use Ellison and Sizzix Bigz dies, with a different adapter I can use GO dies, and I can of course use AccuCut and AccuQuilt dies. I also have the option of having custom dies created for my specIfic needs. I love the versatility of this machine!

Also, about the fabric waste comments, with the Studio I can pool my fabric in the tray so I can cut straight from yardage.

I know this machine isn't for everyone, but I think for many it is a great investment. I especially love the versality of the strip dies! And the convenience of the double wedding ring die set. I don't think I'd every take the time to cut it out without the dies, but it is one of my favourite quilt patterns.

Just my two cents! I'm sure many will disagree with me.