Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok? >
  • Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok?

• Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM

probly just because it's not fire retardant.
    Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 AM

I do the opposite - I purchase shirts at garage sales & Goodwill & cut them up for quilts. Have found some really good shirts - ie Eddie Bauer, Tommy Hilfiger, GAP, etc at sales for as little as $1.00 or less. I make sure they are 100% cotton fabrics. All I've purchased have been in really great shape.
    Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 AM

I learned a lesson about using quilting cotton to make clothes. I made a beautiful dress but had forgotten to wash before cutting it out. The dress was too small after it was washed and dried.
    Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    Bigsister, I like to iron! Not kidding, I really do. I do not iron items like our grandmothers did like sheets and pillow cases or underwear, but I do iron shirts, pants, skirts just to make them look crisp and fresh. Guess I learned early that I could make money from ironing and I never lost the drive. Any way, one reason some may not want to use quilting fabric is that the frequent washing may result in fading to some extent but if you have lots of fabric, use it. I have made lots of kids clothing of 100% cotton and they did just fine.
    I'll see your "I like to iron" & raise you one... I LOVE to iron! I seriously love, love, love to iron. I find it super relaxing! Granted, now that my knee has decided to go crazy I can't do it for hours on end like I used to but I still iron stuff that probably doesn't need to be ironed (DH's shirts & pants, my pillowcases, all my clothes). When I was growing up, one of my most vivid memories is watching my Mother "sprinkle down" her ironing & then being taught to iron... on my Dad's boxers & hankies. And the cotton dish towels. So count me in the pro ironing camp!
    Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 AM

I use "quilting" cotton for DGDs clothes all the time. There are some adorable prints, and the collections are great for making complete outfits. Quilting cotton doesn't wrinkle any worse than any other cotton as long as it is washed the same. Fabric softener helps the feel.
    Attached Thumbnails close-up.jpg  
    Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM

I've created complete wardrobes for my granddaughter with quilting cotton. If you hang the article up when it comes out of the dryer you don't have to iron.
    Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 AM

I just got my hands on some 100% cotton quilting fabric - and the selvedge specifically states "Do Not Use For Children's Clothing" - probably because it hasn't been treated for burn resistance.
    Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM

Unless a pattern is more suited to a batiste or light broadcloth, quilting cottons are fine for children's clothing. Suggested fabric types are usually listed on patterns. I have had mixed results wandering from that.

I find it more difficult to find patterns for adults, which is a shame because quilting cottons are such a joy to sew. I have had the best luck with patterns which need a "crisp" fabric like a tailored shirt or pajama pants. Louise Cutting of Cutting Line Designs has a one seam pant pattern and a pattern with a side pocket panel that I use all the time for pajama pants made from discounted quilting fabrics. I found a ball and jack print quilting fabric in grays and yellow a couple of years ago that I really wanted to use to make a dress. It took a lot of looking, but I found a shirt dress pattern.
    Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 AM

I see no reason not to use quilting fabric for clothes. I do it all the time!
    Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sunny42539
    I learned a lesson about using quilting cotton to make clothes. I made a beautiful dress but had forgotten to wash before cutting it out. The dress was too small after it was washed and dried.
    That only has to happen once or twice and then we figure it out, right?