Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Note to self:  DON'T do this again! >
  • Note to self: DON'T do this again!

• Note to self: DON'T do this again!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Just an update on the quilt......I got some ammonia and borax, and tried DaisyJ's suggestion, but I guess it was too set in by this time. Anyway, the woman wasn't overly upset about the bleeding, and she even said it just gives the quilt "character". She is one of the sweetest ladies I have met in a long time. She wasn't upset about the front bleeds or anything. I even told her I'd rip out the quilting and replace the area on the back where it bled, but she wouldn't have it, so I told her I'd charge her less money for the quilting, and she was grateful for that. But I can't wait to hear what her teenaged DD has to say about it!
    When I first looked at this quilt that you are so upset with I said" It's so pretty. It looks old & cherished. I wouldn't do anything to it.' I would have been glad to have it also. Just hopes the teenage daughter can appreciate the colors and the cherished look of it too.
    Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 PM

You could try making a runny past using baking soda & vinegar. Then scrub the area with a tooth brush. I had some black spots on a memory quilt I had just finished quilting & the paste took it all out. The black was from my walking foot. Have no idea why.
    Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM

I feel for you. Who would have thought it would do that? I guess go have a cup of tea and try and relax a bit.
    Old 08-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Ouch. its a lovely piece though!
    Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and the encouragement! I went back today to find out what her DD had to say about it, and she was thrilled with it! She didn't care about the bleeding spots any more than her mom did (did I tell you how sweet this lady is?). The teenaged DD even slept with the quilt last night, and here in Alabama in August, it's hot! The DD wanted to put it up for a keep-sake, but she may sleep with it for a while so she can feel closer to her late DGM, as they were very close while her grandmother was alive.
    Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Awesome end to the story.
    By the way, I grew up in Decatur. I have family there in Hartselle: the Reeders, Martins/Breedings, and a while back my cousin Scotty was the mayor.
    Small world.

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Hi Linda, Not too close, I think we're about 80 miles east of you.....we live in Hartselle, about 40 miles south of the AL/TN state line, and I-65 is just a mile from us. So if you follow I-65 past Hartselle, you're within 1 mile of my house!
    Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM

have you tried baking soda and hydrogen peroxide??
    I use this solution on all my spots. It's great on grease stains on my shirts that have gone through the washer and dryer. It make take a couple applications, but I bet it will get the stains out. Just make a paste using the 2 and rub on
    bleeds/runs.
    Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 PM

wow everyone, I really appreciate all the information. I am sorry DebbieJJ that you went through all of this, but all the information that everyone passed along is priceless. I am going to cut and paste all the different "recipes" everyone suggested, (I know I will never remember where I read this,) and save the information in my quilting patterns folder. thank you everyone!
    Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Wash all fabric before you use it!!!! I know I've said this before, but red and really darks aren't the only fabrics that run.

If it were me, I'd tell the friend that it was poorly sewn, had rust from pins and that you had presumed, since it is so old, that it had been washed before. None of this is your fault and you did wonders with the damaged seams!

You have nothing to feel badly about. YOU did a good job. I'll be your friend will not fault you.

Now it looks like a real antique!!!!
    Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 PM

I would wash it with a color catcher. They are miracle workers. The quilt looks great.