Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine tables >

Sewing machine tables

Sewing machine tables

Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM

We walked around in WalMart once a few years ago and they had the folding cabinets in boxes piled up, on sale for $99. I grabbed one. We assembled it in an evening and I've loved it ever since. it looks like a piece of furniture in my living room under the window. My Jan stores on the shelf inside, and I have thread and notions on the side shelves. When I'm ready to sew, I just move my easy chair and pull it out to face the TV. Open up the side, and I'm in business. It has held up very well, and I consider it a very good buy. I think it was a Sullivan. It had nice big plastic casters that move it easily on my carpet, and it is quite stable, even with my heavy "portable" Janome electronic machine.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
It's all together and i used it this weekend. LOVE IT !!! It was really quite easy to assemble - and is very sturdy. Love the cubby on the side - i can just put my current work on the shelves and close it up at night....which keeps me from having to move everything back to my sewing room to keep the kitties from getting into things. The fact that the machine sits on top (not recessed) doesn't bother me cuz i've always had mine sitting on a table top. I think you will be very happy with it - as you have seen that other posters have had theirs for years. Good luck !!
Thank you PenniF for you're imput - think I'll be getting one. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 PM

My DD bought me one from Joann's. Think it was about $200 and my son put it together for me. He glued all the screws as he put them in so there is no possibility of them coming loose. I have been very happy with it and it's sturdy enough.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM

I bought an old Parsons brand sewing table from craigslist for $75. It had a spring loaded lift that was hard to work, but my husband changed it out for an airlift like the Horn cabinets. Then I ordered an acrylic insert (from Dreamworld) to fit around the freearm and give me a flush surface. The best thing about it that it is built of solid wood and is very nice looking. I think it dates from the 80's. My friend likes it so much she told to watch for another like it. I finally saw one and she got it. It was identical except it had an electric lift so she just got an insert was good to go.