Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting burnout >

quilting burnout

quilting burnout

Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Yes, I do. But once I begin again, I get interested and my passion renews.

I'm currently on a quest to back and quilt the several tops I've made, and won't let myself start anything new until I get these done. It makes me kind of grumpy --I like starting creating anew better--but I'm determined, and it's such a great feeling to have something REALLY finished.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM

How about just one at a time, it will be easier to work on one and get it done than to think about all the projects you have left to finish. I think we all go thru different periods where we sew and then we don't. But my love of quilting always brings me back. There are times that I will sew every night and other times I won't sew for a week. Like I said, one project at a time. Good luck
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM

I find I work best when I know what I'm doing with the quilt...gift, donation, etc. Otherwise I tend to get easily distracted.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM

we all have funks-I have done this with sewing garments, beading, READING-I am a bookcoholic-quilting. There are times I just go in and pet the fabrics and then leave. It WILL come back-maybe not in a month or six-but if you enjoyed it once you will enjoy it again. DO NOT STRESS!!! That just makes it worse. I always said when I retire I will walk the dogs, tend the garden, read all I want, do what I want in my own time frame. Guess what-there are still only 24 hours a day and even retired I don't have time to do it all. Relax-enjoy life-and don't sweat the stuff you can't change. Learn to accept yourself and let life happen and enjoy it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM

I am in the same situation. We are getting ready to move and I just don't want to do anything-hopefully I will recover after we get where we are going!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM

I go between knitting, quilting, painting and doll making
too. I found a way to not get bugged down and it works for me. I made a rule for myself to do one project at a time and finish it. I usually pull out lots of fabrics for a project and put those all back when I am done. I make myself do it and now I am quite disciplined lol.

If my studio is a mess, I can't concentrate. I will stray, when making a large quilt to some other block or small quilt that interests me but I go back and finish. While I was working on, "Shakespeare in the Park," I did a small cross quilt and a Burgoyne Surrounded block but then I just finished my SIP quilt. I also finished the cross quilt and now I am debating on the BS.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM

I'm glad I read all these posts. To see other people have this problem. Just today I was thinking I was losing interest. But this has happened before and I always get back to loving it.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM

I am constantly cycling through hobbies, I get obsessed about something and then cool down on it...then eventually get back into whatever-it-was. The neat thing is that by the time I cycle back around to something, I've tried new things and learned new techniques that sometimes inspire something I would not otherwise have thought of if I hadn't allowed myself to wander down a different path for awhile.

I do sometimes feel a little guilty or annoyed with myself when I spend a lot of money on a hobby RIGHT before I burn out on it, but then when I come back around to that hobby later I dig out all this NEW stuff and feel like I found treasure! So I figure it all comes out even in the end and let myself follow my inspiration wherever it takes me.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM

I think that we have time when our 'creative juices' are not flowing. Right now my juices are not flowing they are 'oozing'. Hope to get back to full steam soon.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM

Whew! I thought it was just me. Every possible reason listed, works for my lost majo. Thanks for the reminder to chill out and just relax and enjoy when and if the urge comes back.