Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • In tears about my first quilt >
  • In tears about my first quilt

• In tears about my first quilt

Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Chris from TX,

This is a very supportive group and like others have said, SOMEONE here will have a solution/great suggestion for you. Just post some pictures. Since you are new here, hop over to the sticky to see how to do it (biggest side can be no larger than 800 pixels) and we'll help you. You have a gold mine in resources here.

And, I don't know how old you are, but I'm thinking you are young/ish. My advice in the future...post here instead of showing your aunt. Seriously.

Wait and show your aunt when you all finished. We just need pics. We've done 9 patches--they can be fantastic quilts. Mine are like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456372[/ATTACH]

Or this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]456373[/ATTACH],

or this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]456374[/ATTACH]

If your 9 patches aren't perfect, you can make them wonky (look it up, or just ask here) and they turn out really cute! There are quite a few options you have. Don't give up and in the future, just ask here. The nicest, kindest ladies/men are here and there are thousands and thousands of collective years of quilt experience to build upon.
    Attached Thumbnails 10-simple-9-patchscrappy.jpg   05-2013.jpg   103-2013.jpg  
    Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM

So sorry that happened.

There have been several good suggestions here that I totally agree with. Sew them all back together, and then find a good way to display them in your quilt.
    Sashing sounds great. Use white or black or some neutral color. This would separate the colors.
    Another way is to make solid blocks the same size as the 9-patch blocks and alternate them. The solid blocks could be many different colors or all one neutral color. I think this would be lovely.

Don't be floored by this. You can do it. Good luck!
    Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Justflyingin-these are beautiful quilts. Love the design, love the colors. This board is so inspiring and full of creative artists.
    Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM

I do agree with zozee. good advice Its your quilt, your design, your work, so take a deep breath and move on. It woudl be a cold day in hell before i let anyone dismantle anything on my quilts, whether it is done right or wrong.
    Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 AM

I am sorry that your quilt got all messed up.. but its not the end of the world. I agree with those who suggested posting pictures.. it is so hard to offer suggestions without seeing what you have. By the way, that is why I don't show too many people my projects until they are completed... I learned that the hard way too. Its funny how people want to "help" and can cause such grief. This board is good for asking questions.. and we can't touch your project ha ha
    Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 AM

I feel that most of us have been where you are now at one time. There is always a pattern that is not clear or printed wrong that drives us crazy. I am sorry it was on your first quilt and you got such bad advice. My first thought was make a square's of your choice and sashing them. As I read on I see others had the same advice. Good luck with it and don't let it get you discouraged. As others have said if you are to upset put it away and work on something new. That is why a lot of us have a bunch of UFO's.
    Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 AM

What I would do is just sew them all together. It would end up being a controlled scrappy of 2 1/2" blocks. Don't put them in any order, just random. If you have 4 patch, just add to it, 9 patch, just keep adding. I just finished a quilt that is all the same color scheme, but boy you can't see a pattern in it and I love it. Your blocks don't all have to be the same size. You just need to end up with a square or rectangle top. And if it's the same color line, I bet it would be pretty. Good luck, and post pictures.
    Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Remember the old saying, Advice is worth just what you paid for it? Next time anyone (especially a relative) tries to help, say BUTT OUT!

Another old ad said, Please Mother (Aunt), I'd rather do it myself!! No quilt is worth tears.
    Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM

OMG. I feel so bad for you. She certainly messed things up even though her intentions might have been good. I see you have received lots of good advice already but I will add one more thing: From now on, the aunt has no say in what you do or sew! Don't be afraid to make your own mistakes, not someone else's. You learned a great lesson and I hope you will not give up on quilting because of all this.
    Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

Oh my, I think I would like to cry as well. Without seeing what was left of your quilt, I cannot give a recommendation, except that when your aunt offers suggestions in the future, DO NOT let her get near the seam ripper ever again. If I were you, I might put the pieces into a bag or box, hand it to your aunt and tell her that since she is an experienced quilter that maybe she should put the pieces together so that you can "SEE" what she intended, as you're not quite sure, as the two of you were definitely not on the same page. I have to admit this is a unique story, as most of my experiences with quilters who insist on giving advice, is to listen, nod your head and when they leave, do it your way. If you can post pictures, perhaps the QB members can give you some pointers on whether to proceed with the quilt or put it in the circular scrap bin.