Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who is your quilting guru? >
  • Who is your quilting guru?

• Who is your quilting guru?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 AM

My quilting guru is Jan from VA who is on this board. I recommend you have a workshop with her in your area. She'll be presenting her workshop in Broadway, VA next Saturday. Look her up on this board.
    Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM

I love Kim Diehl her quilts are so beautiful and I love applique quilts
    Old 04-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Cindy Needham. I took her craftsy machine quilting class and learned more than I have from any other online class. I learned to use my imagination from her. I live in an area that personnel classes are not available. I learned feathers from Kimmy Brunner CD. She made it so easy. Piecing, I taught myself but it was machine quilting on my Juki that I wanted to learn all about. Sharon Schambers was the first online class I ever took. She is amazing but Cindy Needham still is the best instructor I ever had. She taught how to look at the quilt and to divide and conquer the quilting spaces and still let the piecing of the quilt do the talking.
    Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Atkinson Designs and Missouri Star Quilt Designs
    Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    This, pointing up.
    I also like Eleanor Burns, Fons & Porter, and Jenny Doan's tutes on youtube. Eleanor's Quilt in a Day is the only TV show I know of where I can watch every episode free online.
    Rodney
    I have found a few episodes of EB, where did you find all of the please?
    Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 AM

anyone who shares something I learn from

I too don't do utube because I'm on metered service and I have to pick carefully what I'm willing to spend my minutes on, they go way too fast
    Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM

I took a three day workshop on machine quilting with Cindy Needham. It was wonderful. Some of the best money I've ever spent. I learned a lot. I could take it again and learn just as much. She now teaches on Craftsy.
    Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider
    Why doesn't a 2" circle fit in a 2" square? I'll lay out a pattern for quilting, measure the area, and 5 2" circles should fit a 10" piece of fabric. They never do. I'm laying out the circles in Adobe Illustrator which is accurate for measurements, checking the printer that it's printing at 100% and the circles are never even. I expect a slight difference where you can futz the start or end, but there shouldn't be a 1/4 +" overlap unless every ruler I own - including carpenter's retractable measures are off.

As to not liking videos, I can't print a page I can use for reference and add my own observations and notes.
    You might want to start a new thread with your question. It'll get lost in this thread.
    Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 AM

I have never taken a quilting class where I didn't learn something. Sometimes it's little things and sometimes it's big things. Everybody seems to have their own way of doing things and I love to see how other people do things.
    Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

When I had to start working full time, I had to stop attending the local Quilt Guild. However, while I was a member, I was able to take instructions from Helen Weineman, Heartbeat Quilts, Charlotte Warr Anderson (I hope I have the name right, it was a long time ago, another applique quilt teacher who specialized in ribbon roses, who informed me that I should have told her I was left-handed (I'm not, but apparently I sew left-handed), plus a few well-known quilt teachers. I also attended a quilted vest class with Carol Doak, the queen of paper piecing; but I have the fondest memory of attending a New England Quilt Guild Convention where the guest speakers were Mary Ellen Hopkins and Kaye England. Mary Ellen was a hoot and had the entire audience laughing, plus I got to see some of her quilts from her books. I was sorry to hear of her passing last year. The very, very first quilt show on PBS was with Georgia Bonesteel, then Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson and a few shows by Fons and Porter, but I have to say my favorite go -to quilt instructor is Jenny from MSQ. Jenny is funny, intelligent, knows a lot about quilting and most of all has the ability to simplify quilt instructions so we can make quilts quickly, without sacrificing quality. I probably gave you more of an answer that you may have wanted, but all those quilters have attracted me to quilting early on and have kept me interested and motivated in exploring my quilting passion for nearly 30 years. There have been others as well, but today my go-to quilt teacher would have to be Jenny from MSQC.