Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room >

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 PM

I have an organized mess! And closing the door on the sewing room is my best "tool"!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
I like things put away too. My sewing table is the 1st thing anyone can sit things on when they come into the house and it seems to attract "stuff". I hate it! I seriously need a hall table...
I told my DH I sure was glad I wasn't flat because he would have junk sitting on top of me like he does everything in the house that has a flat top on it.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 PM

I like neat and tidy, too, but can't seem to manage it.

My sewing stuff is in different rooms in a small 3 bedroom house. My sewing machine (in cabinet) is in the master bedroom, along with a small--very small--Sterlite drawer unit that holds thread, needles, pins, other supplies, and my rulers and rotary cutters are in a plastic holder bag hanging on the the back of the bedroom door. My fabric (stash) and batting is in the closet of the guest room. I also have boxes of miscellaneous sewing supplies, etc. in a hall closet. I cut on the table in the dining area and set up my ironing board in that area, too. All three rooms usually show evidence of my current project. But I do tidy up between projects, and more often if something is taking too long to finish and I can't stand the mess any longer, or company is expected. I'd love a dedicated sewing room but can't sacrifice the guest room (need a space for grandkids when they stay overnight).
Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 PM

I'm like ube, I kind of thrive in the clutter in my sewing room. But, I do have to admit that it sometimes gets to me and I'll spend a few hours reorganizing things only to start another project or 2 and the mess starts all over again. I am trying to downsize my stash and with all the swaps I have been in in the past year I have kind of made a dent in the stash. I envy those of you who can stick to neatness.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 AM

I have to have my room neat and tidy, too. I straighten it up before leaving. I have to admit, messy makes my a little wacko. LOL!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
I keep my space neat and tidy too. Can't work in a messy space. I have bins for projects and I have a little craft caddy thing that I keep all my frequently used notions and tools in, so they are sitting out right where I need them, but not all over the place. All my fabric is on boards in rubbermaid totes and everything has a place.
I'm the same! I have all the necessary tools I'll need right next to my machine. They're on a flat tray (cover of a large shoe box) with a cloth liner so I can spot whatever I need right away. I have to have it neat when I start out sewing and then when I end it for the time being I straighten up. All fabric is sorted, and other extras are organized. Not saying all should work this way, but it's better for me.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 AM

Between projects I put EVERYTHING away, sweep, oil, and clean.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:48 AM

Love a clean sewing area. Can't work in chaos.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I tend to make piles for each project I'm working on at the time. I hang my strips on hangers above or near the cutting table so easily found when needed. As I make scraps when cutting I throw them into a pile at the end of my cutting table. If I think I might be able to use them in another future project, I place them in a special pile with the quilt pattern. I'm thinking though I need to start putting them in a plastic container so I can put them onto the floor next to the cutting table as I'm getting too many future projects piled on one end. After each project is done, I put all the excess from it away and vacumn as I like to throw the thread cutoffs on the floor since I tend to miss the trash can most times. Then I start again with the next project. I don't care for clutter either but sometimes it just happens as we work.
Suz I think your ideas for organizing are great. I can't concentrate if I don't clean the work area. My DD bought me a super-dustbuster which I love - don't have to drag out the vaccuum which might have old dog hair or dead Christmas tree smell (DH hates to change the bags, wierd cheap hangup!). I pile up all the scraps for a project with the unused fabric for the project, and fold and bag it at the end, and it goes in the stash as a unit. I bought some of those little briefcase-sized plastic containers from JF and try to contain a project in one, or in one of my plastic stash drawers.

Now I had to move into my 'winter location' in a corner of the kitchen so we don't have to heat my real room, I am super-paranoid about being neat. Even though no more dog, still worried I'll do something dumb and combine cooking with quilting activity and end up with spots or greasey fingerprints on fabric!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:11 AM

I work better if things are where I want and expect them to be. Found that using a 1/2 sheet bakery pan to put my cuttings prior to piecing helped me keep those neat but handy. Also use a quart plastic wide mouthed jar to put my quilting needles, threaders, extra thimbles, small stuff for each project, etc. That keeps them together but right in front of me. Then I use a metal oblong container that came off the bottom of a gift package to set my pin holder, small scissors, needle threader, thread and tweezers in so they are all together each time I go in to quilt. I guess I am organized in that way. I don't put everything away until the job is finished though.