Laundry -

Old 10-07-2016, 04:49 AM

I stopped using scented products when I discovered that my son was allergic to everything (37 years ago!). Now I'm so used to non-scented everything that I've had to throw away anything that I accidentally buy with a scent. Several times I have had to give away dishwashing detergent when a scent lingered on the dishes after they were washed.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:06 AM

I like unscented because of my asthma. For my mother, I use the scented. She has dementia and forgets that she's worn the same thing for 2-3 days. The scented helps somewhat with that.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:11 AM

I don't want an scented products; I am allergic to most of them.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
I don't want an scented products; I am allergic to most of them.
Me too. I remember taking a deep breath before I walked past the laundry soap aisle. I don't notice it's as strong these days so maybe the manufacturers got too many complaints.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:53 AM

I have to have unscented everything due to allergies and chemical sensitivities. Laundry products that have scents make me wheeze, give me a headache and make me & my kids itchy.

I don't know who's "brilliant" idea it was, that fresh equates to lots of perfume?

Last edited by purplefiend; 10-07-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 PM

I like to hang my clothes outside on the line. They have that fresh outdoorsy smell.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I made the laundry detergent for a while. It was exciting to think of all the money I would save and it was something different. After a while I noticed the clothes were getting an odd coating of sorts on them. The towels had to be rinsed in vinegar a lot to be soft and absorbent. That was because the homemade is laundry soap not detergent. Soap leaves a film. I have used this simple recipe for detergent for clothes and the dishwasher. Vinegar rinse is needed every so often if used regularly.

Detergent Substitute

1/4 teaspoon liquid dish detergent and 1/2 teaspoon baking
soda dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water and poured into the 2
detergent cups in the dishwasher or small load in washing machine. Works like a charm.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
I made the laundry detergent for a while. It was exciting to think of all the money I would save and it was something different. After a while I noticed the clothes were getting an odd coating of sorts on them. The towels had to be rinsed in vinegar a lot to be soft and absorbent. That was because the homemade is laundry soap not detergent. Soap leaves a film. I have used this simple recipe for detergent for clothes and the dishwasher. Vinegar rinse is needed every so often if used regularly.

Detergent Substitute

1/4 teaspoon liquid dish detergent and 1/2 teaspoon baking
soda dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water and poured into the 2
detergent cups in the dishwasher or small load in washing machine. Works like a charm.

That is interesting!! I'm about 3 years in and haven't noticed anything bad! Maybe it has to do with the water supply?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
my method is for a single batch one bar of Zote laundry soap shredded in food processor or grated with grater. Easier in food processor. I cut the bar lengthwise in three sections and push them through. This gives shreds. Then I put the other blade in and whir it around til it makes small balls. Then I add about a cup and a half of arm and hammer washing soda (not baking soda) and about a cup and a half of borax and whir it around in batches. It comes out looking like powdered laundry detergent. It makes NO suds and I use it in my HE machine. I usually make two batches. Use about 2 tbsp per load. For us it gets the laundry clean and fresh smelling. We don't do any kind of work which would make for a challenging laundry

i did make my own dryer balls with aluminum foil and wool roving. I saw it on line. Easy. They are permanently in the dryer. I don't use fabric softener. Haven't needed vinegar yet for our needs.
Thank you so much! I will make some as soon as I find Zote laundry soap!
Old 10-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Thank you so much! I will make some as soon as I find Zote laundry soap!
It's usually on the top shelf of the laundry supply section at least at the places I have been