Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Journal? >

Quilt Journal?

Quilt Journal?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 PM

I use a large 3 ring binder. Each quilt has a numbered tab and is in the sequence that I expected to do them. I have several in the works at once. I have a page in front with each project name and the backing and the binding for each. My first project was from a magazine pattern so it is there in a plastic sleeve. I have graph paper and blank pages to sketch on. As a new quilter I have found that I am often doing a different size than the pattern I have so I have a lot of math calculations on each one. I find it helpful to draw out my pattern with my choice of colour. I might also draw the back and the quilting pattern I am thinking of using. I will work out colour quantities and now I am making notes of my progress also. I find it invaluable and refer to it often
Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 AM

I'm glad this post is here. I'm determined to do this in 2018. I actually took pictures of the quilts I've finished this year and developed them. I have pictures of the other years developed and put "somewhere". I figured I'd work backwards with the most recent and then go to the previous years as I have time and gain momentum. I've got the 3 ring binder (and other empty scrapbooks), I've purchased the box of page protectors...now I'm just looking at the kind of information I want to capture. I'm definitely adding some things you've mentioned....quilt size, technique, what inspired me to make the quilt. In addition, I'm including either the "thank you note" or a picture of whomever the quilt was for. Oftentimes, I receive a picture of a baby that I had gifted it to.....if it's not a family member, I don't really have a place to keep those. So, I figured, I'd include them in my album of quilts.

So, if anyone else has ideas, please keep 'em coming. (I am also on a journey to use what I have....7 years ago, I was gifted a bunch of scrapbook supplies that someone said they'd not use..including the album, cool designed paper, etc. So, I'll give using them a try.

What glue or adhesive do you use for scrapbooking? Just plain Elmer's glue? Any help will be appreciated. I'm looking at those 7 pictures right now! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 01:18 PM

NoraB: Your will probably find that you change your ideas as you go. I now have given myself more room for details, for math calculations, and for progress updates, I am organizing things in a different way, I even have changed writing from pen to pencil as I have changed my mind on some things like which backing I will use. If I have not worked on a project for a while, my notes remind me. I find my journal invaluable and I enjoy the time I work in it. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:22 PM

I use to take photo and add to photo album with basic info on back...that lasted a few mths before i got tired of it...
Like some not into to much detail that take time away from actual quilting. So now i snap a photo w/ipad call it done..